Explore the Rhine River your way on Avalon Active & Discovery river cruise.
Choose included classic sightseeing, Active excursions, or Discovery activities in culture and cuisine. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or an art lover, you’ll find the Avalon Choice® inclusions that speak to you! Visit the Chocolate Museum in Cologne, take a guided culinary walk in Düsseldorf, and taste regional wines in Eltville.
In Koblenz, take a cable-car ride up to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for magnificent views of the surrounding area. Aboard your Avalon Suite Ship®, you’ll pass through the magnificent Rhine Gorge and enjoy specialty dishes while cruising. Your Rhine River cruise ends in Amsterdam for a day full of activities. See the colorful streets and row house doors of Amsterdam your way—from a relaxing canal cruise to a leisurely biking tour—all at your pace! Choose a painting class to recreate the masterpieces of Dutch artists.
Join us for a Rhine River cruise like no other, with more freedom to cruise your way.
- Airfare to Zurich and return from Amsterdam
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Passion
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Avalon Choice with your preference of Classic, Active, or Discovery included excursions and sightseeing with Certified Local Guides; and MyAvalon Guided Optional Excursions
- Book by Dec 31: FREE Airfare and Exclusive $200 savings per cabin! (price reflects discount)
|July 26, 2024||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$305|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $163 per person|
|No Single Supplement for Solo Travelers!|
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Other dates are available. Please call to inquire!
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Day 1 Basel (Embarkation)
Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Breisach
Excursion to Black Forest:Choice of excursion to Black Forest, or e-bike tour in the Black Forest or visit to a local winery
Day 3 Strasbourg
Choice of guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the Gothic cathedral or culinary walk, or hike along the river
Day 4 Mainz
Excursion to Heidelberg:Choice of guided tour of Heidelberg Castle with tasting of local specialties, see the Great Vat, or a hike up Philosophers’ Way, or beer tour; private reception at Rheinstein Castle
Day 5 Rhine Gorge–Koblenz
Cruise through the scenic Rhine Gorge with breathtaking views of ancient castles, towering cliffs, and the legendary Rock of the Lorelei; choice of Koblenz walking tour and Ehrenbreitstein Fortress with cable car ride, or Volcano Tour experience, or e-biking tour in the vineyards; classic concert
Day 6 Düsseldorf
Choice of guided city sightseeing, or biking tour, or culinary tour
Day 7 Amsterdam
Choice of painting class, or kayak tour, or canal cruise
Day 8 Amsterdam (Disembarkation)
Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 BASEL, SWITZERLAND (EMBARKATION) (D)
Welcome to Switzerland. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Zürich must arrive before 3 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
EVENING CRUISE TO BREISACH
Day 2 BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST (B, L, D)
German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest
Take a Guided E-bike Tour to experience the magical Black Forest from a unique point of view, OR:
Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration, OR:
Visit a local winery and its vineyards to learn about German winemaking; a wine tasting will be the perfect end of this tour.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO STRASBOURG
Day 3 STRASBOURG, FRANCE (B, L, D)
A Grand Cathedral and La Petite France
Ask about today’s energizing or relaxing Adventure Host activities.
Take a Guided Hike along the river and the Marne-Rhine canal, OR:
Join a Culinary Walk to discover the Alsatian cuisine and traditions, so influenced by the unique history of a region, whose control alternated between Germany and France for centuries, OR:
Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.
This afternoon choose one of the Optional Excursions available,
Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MAINZ
Day 4 MAINZ, GERMANY. EXCURSIONS TO HEIDELBERG (B, L, D)
The World’s Biggest Wine Barrel and Famous Vineyards
Follow the road less traveled on this exciting Guided Hike along the Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below, OR:
Join an exclusive Beer Tour. An expert Beer Sommelier will introduce you to the art of brewing, while strolling through the Heidelberg Castle garden OR:
Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel. While visiting the city, also enjoy a tasting of local specialties.
Enjoy an experience fit for royalty during an exclusive private reception at Rheinstein Castle.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN BINGEN
Day 5 RHINE GORGE–KOBLENZ (B, L, D)
Fortress Walls and Manor Halls Where the Rhine and Moselle Meet
En route to Koblenz, sail through the Rhine Gorge (a UNESCO World Heritage site). Take in the breathtaking views of ancient castles perched on cliffs 400 feet above the water, and pass the legendary Rock of the Lorelei—where the mythological siren’s songs lured ill-fated sailors.
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
Take a Guided E-Bike Tour in the vineyards surrounding this beautiful city at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers, OR:
For a unique experience, join us on an excursion to the “Lava City” of Mendig for a Volcano Encounter, including exploring the caverns and corridors where basalt (cold lava) was mined, OR:
Enjoy a leisurely Guided Walk of ancient Koblenz, including a cable car ride to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for a spectacular panoramic view.
Enjoy a remarkable classical music concert in a lovely baroque venue at Engers Castle, home to the Villa Musica Rhineland-Palatinate National Foundation, one of Germany’s largest music institutions.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜSSELDORF
Day 6 DÜSSELDORF (B, L, D)
Avant-Garde Architecture and Amazing Altbiers
Join a City Biking Tour to discover interesting stories about the sights and the city itself along the way, OR:
Experience Düsseldorf’s Old Town and get an insight into its culinary diversity, OR:
Join a Guided Tour of Düsseldorf. Visit the Old Town, but also discover its spectacular subway line, where each station has an individual magic character.
This afternoon you might take a Guided Optional Excursion to Düsseldorf’s microbreweries to try a variety of Altbiers.
Later enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO KOBLENZ
Day 7 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (B, L, D)
Colorful Canals of Amsterdam
Enjoy a Guided Kayak Tour for an adventure which will provide you a unique perspective of the “Venice of the North” from the waters of its magnificent canals, OR:
Attend a Painting Class and be inspired by the masters’ techniques. Paint your own canvas and discover your inner artist. An orientation walk will complete your experience, OR:
Enjoy a Guided Canal Cruise to explore the iconic waterways and sites of Amsterdam.
This afternoon consider an Optional Culinary Walk in one of Amsterdam’s famous districts.
Spend free time strolling at leisure through the galleries and cafés of Amsterdam.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Day 8 AMSTERDAM (DISEMBARKATION) (B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.