Explore the Rhine River from a unique perspective on an Avalon Active & Discovery River Cruise. With Avalon Choice® inclusions you decide how to explore each destination on your Rhine River cruise.
From classic sightseeing, to active pursuits, to discovery activities and excursions, you’ll enjoy a wide variety of included excursions to match your interests and pace. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or an art lover, you’ll find a wide selection of inclusions that speak to you!
Your Rhine River cruise begins in Amsterdam for a day full of activities. See the colorful corners of Amsterdam your way—from a canal cruise to a leisurely biking tour—all at an easy pace! You might choose an included painting class, instead, to recreate the masterpieces of Dutch artists. Visit the Chocolate Museum in Cologne, take a guided “bites and highlights” tour in Düsseldorf, and taste regional wines in Eltville.
In Koblenz, take a cable-car ride up to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for magnificent views of the surrounding area. Sail through the magnificent Rhine Gorge and enjoy specialty dishes while cruising. Join us for an Active & Discovery Rhine River Cruise with more included selections for every preference, passion, and pace.
- Airfare to Amsterdam and return from Zürich
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Expression
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Avalon Choice with your preference of Classic, Active, or Discovery included excursions and sightseeing with Certified Local Guides; and MyAvalon Guided Optional Excursions
- Airport transfers to and from the ship
- Book by Jun 30: Reduced airfare and save up to $1900 per cabin (price reflects below)
|July 31, 2023||Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$303|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $166 per person|
Extend your stay 1 Night in Amsterdam! Please call for more information
Air from other gateway cities is available from $100-$300/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply.
Day 1 Amsterdam (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Amsterdam: Choice of painting class, or kayak tour or canal cruise
Day 3 Düsseldorf: Choice of guided city sightseeing, or biking tour, or culinary tour
Day 4 Koblenz–Rhine Gorge: Choice of Koblenz walking tour and Ehrenbreitstein Fortress with cable car ride, or Volcano Tour experience, or e-biking tour in the vineyards; cruise through the scenic Rhine Gorge with breath-taking views of ancient castles, towering cliffs, and the legendary Rock of the Lorelei
Day 5 Speyer. Excursion to Heidelberg: Choice of guided tour of Heidelberg Castle with tasting of local special-ties, see the Great Vat, or a hike up Philosophers’ Way, or beer tour
Day 6 Strasbourg: Choice of guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the Gothic cathedral or culinary walk, or hike along the river
Day 7 Breisach. Excursion to Black Forest: Choice of excursion to Black Forest, or e-bike tour in the Black Forest or visit to a local winery
Day 8 Basel (Disembarkation): Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (D)
How Suite It Is! Welcome Aboard Your Avalon Suite Ship®. Flights into Amsterdam must arrive by 3:30 pm. Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm. You may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses. Your day in Amsterdam is free to explore at your leisure the colorful cafés, galleries, bridges, and canals.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Day 2 AMSTERDAM (B, L, D)
Colorful Canals of Amsterdam Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
ACTIVE Enjoy a Guided Kayak Tour for an adventure which will provide you a unique perspective of the “Venice of the North” from the waters of its magnificent canals,
OR: DISCOVERY Attend a Painting Class and be inspired by the masters’ techniques. Paint your own canvas and discover your inner artist. An orientation walk will complete your experience,
OR: CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Canal Cruise to explore the iconic waterways and sites of Amsterdam. This afternoon enjoy a relaxing sailing on the Sky Deck.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜSSELDORF
Day 3 DÜSSELDORF, GERMANY (B, L, D)
Avant-Garde Architecture and Amazing Altbiers
ACTIVE Join a City Biking Tour to discover interesting stories about the sights and the city itself along the way,
OR: DISCOVERY Experience Düsseldorf’s Old Town and get an insight into its culinary diversity,
OR: CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour of Düsseldorf. Visit the Old Town, but also discover its spectacular subway line, where each station has an individual magic character.
This afternoon you might take a Guided Optional Excursion to Düsseldorf’s microbreweries to try a variety of Altbiers. Later enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO KOBLENZ
Day 4 KOBLENZ—RHINE GORGE (B, L, D)
Fortress Walls and Manor Halls Where the Rhine and Moselle Meet Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Take a Guided E-Bike Tour in the vineyards surrounding this beautiful city at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers,
OR: DISCOVERY For a unique experience, join us on an excursion to the “Lava City” of Mendig for a Volcano Encounter, including exploring the caverns and corridors where basalt (cold lava) was mined,
OR: CLASSIC Enjoy a leisurely Guided Walk of ancient Koblenz, including a cable car ride to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for a spectacular panoramic view. En route to Bingen, sail through the Rhine Gorge (a UNESCO World Heritage site). Take in the breathtaking views of ancient castles perched on cliffs 400 feet above the water, and pass the legendary Rock of the Lorelei—where the mythological siren’s songs lured ill-fated sailors.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN BINGEN
Day 5 SPEYER. EXCURSIONS TO HEIDELBERG (B, L, D)
The World’s Biggest Wine Barrel and Famous Vineyards
ACTIVE Follow the road less traveled on this exciting Guided Hike along the Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view f the city below,
OR: DISCOVERY Join an exclusive Beer Tour. Stroll through the An expert Beer Sommelier will introduce you to the art of brewing, while strolling through the Heidelberg Castle garden,
OR: CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel. While visiting the city, also enjoy a tasting of local specialties. Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO STRASBOURG
Day 6 STRASBOURG, FRANCE (B, L, D)
A Grand Cathedral and La Petite France Ask about today’s energizing or relaxing Adventure Host activities.
ACTIVE Take a Guided Hike along the river and the Marne-Rhine canal,
OR: DISCOVERY Join a Culinary Walk to discover the Alsatian cuisine and traditions, so influenced by the unique history of a region, whose control alternated between Germany and France for centuries,
OR: CLASSIC Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District. This afternoon choose one of the Optional Excursions available.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BREISACH
Day 7 BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST (B, L, D)
German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest
ACTIVE Take a Guided E-bike Tour to experience the magical Black Forest from a unique point of view,
OR: DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration,
OR: DISCOVERY Visit a local winery and its vineyards to learn about German winemaking; a wine tasting will be the perfect end of this tour.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BASEL
Day 8 BASEL (B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
Flights should not leave Zürich airport before 10 am or Basel airport before 8 am.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.