Take a delightful river cruise through France along the Rhône and Saône Rivers with guided sightseeing in known French treasures and some hidden gems too!
Take in the beautiful countryside, quaint villages and towns, as you sail through the most captivating views of France. Lyon, France’s gastronomic capital, founded by the Romans in 43 BC, sits at the junction of the Rhône and Saône Rivers and is a showcase of medieval and Renaissance architecture. Visit the popular Place des Terreaux with its lively cafés and monuments and stand in front of the famous fountain you’ve seen on postcards.
You’ll have plenty of time to explore this historical city further and be sure to sample Beaujolais, the famous wine of the region. Beautifully nestled among vineyards, you’ll find the city of Tournon, a medieval treasure with plenty of Roman ruins and a fascinating 16th-century castle, where you’ll go on a guided walk. Continue your river cruise to historical Avignon and see the 14th-century Palace of the Popes—the largest gothic fortress in the world. On the Rhône River sits Arles, France—famous for inspiring the paintings of Van Gogh and its 1st-century Roman Amphitheater, which hosts plays and concerts to this day.
- Airfare to Lyon and return from Marseille
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Poetry II
- Roundtrip airport transfers
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Avalon Choice with your preference of Classic, Active, or Discovery included excursions and sightseeing with Certified Local Guides; and MyAvalon Guided Optional Excursions
- Book by Oct 31: FREE Airfare, plus save $900 per cabin! (price reflects discounts)
|November 13, 2023||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$303|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $166 per person|
|No Single Supplement for Solo Travelers!|
Other gateway cities are available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Promotion can be withdrawn at any time without notice.
Final payment is required at booking.
Extend your stay for 2 Nights in Paris and 2 nights in Nice! Please call for more information
Day 1 Chalon-sur-Saône (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Tournus: Guided walk in Tournus; onboard cheese tasting
Day 3 Lyon: Choice of guided sightseeing; with picture stop on Fourvière Hill or bike with your Adventure Host; onboard lecture
Day 4 Lyon: Culinary tour
Day 5 Tournon-Viviers: Guided walk in Tournon; guided walk in Viviers, visit the Old Town and the cathedral
Day 6 Avignon: Guided sightseeing, visit to the Palace of the Popes
Day 7 Arles: Choice of guided sightseeing in Arles, visit the Roman Amphitheater, or painting workshop or walk with your Adventure Host
Day 8 Arles (Disembarkation):Your cruise ends this morning.
Day 1 CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE, FRANCE (EMBARKATION) (D)
Welcome to France. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding
Flights into Lyon must arrive by 2 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN TOURNUS
Day 2 TOURNUS (B, L, D)
Pearl of Southern Burgundy
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
Tucked away in the southeast corner of Burgundy, Tournus is one of the oldest and most important monastic centers in the region, Our Local Guide will show the highlights of this delightful town.
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to a Chardonnay wine cellar or to the Castle of Cormatin.
Later, enjoy a delicious Cheese Tasting on board your ship.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN TRÉVOUX
Day 3 LYON (B, L, D)
La Vie En Rose in Lyon
Sail for lovely Lyon this morning.
Discover Lyon’s architectural district by bike with your Adventure Host, over bridges, and along the banks where the Rhône and Saône rivers meet, OR:
Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour to survey Lyon from Fourvière Hill with its numerous churches. You’ll also explore the Old Town with its maze of medieval alleyways, and the lively cafés, monuments, and famed fountain of Place des Terreaux.
Be our guest for a WWII & French Resistance your lecture on board your ship.
Later enjoy live entertainment after dinner.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN LYON
Day 4 LYON (B, L, D)
Adventures in Food and Wine
Join a Culinary Walk through the city to discover why Lyon is known as the gastronomic capital of France.
The rest of your day is free to explore, relax, or shop in France’s third largest city. Take a bike from the ship and explore local produce markets and parks, or take a leisurely tour of the city’s more than 100 murals.
EVENING CRUISE TO TOURNON
Day 5 TOURNON – VIVIERS (B, L, D)
A Rendezvous with Castle Views and Vineyards
Take a morning Guided Walking Tour to explore Tournon—one of France’s oldest medieval cities. See its 16th-century castle, and Roman ruins between the Rhône River and the granite slopes of the Hermitage.
Enjoy a leisurely sail to Viviers after lunch.
World History in a Charming French Country Village
Explore the pale-stone buildings of Viviers on a late afternoon Guided Walking Tour of this charming village. You’ll see its Romanesque cathedral and Old Town with a mix of historical Christian, Roman, and medieval influences.
Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AVIGNON
Day 6 AVIGNON (B, L, D)
The City of Popes in Picturesque Provence
Join your Adventrue Host for today’s special activities.
Take a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the fortress city of Avignon—with its ramparts encircling the city—and a visit to the amazing Palace of the Popes.
Guided Optional Excursions include a visit to the ancient Roman aqueduct of Pont du Gard, or a trip to the famed wine cellars of Châteauneuf-du-Pape for a true taste of the Rhône wine region.
Explore Avignon on your own for the city’s art and culture, theatre, and museums. Be sure to snap photos of the captivating countryside, historic monuments, and the medieval Pont Saint-Bénézet.
Later, enjoy onboard live entertainment.
EVENING CRUISE TO ARLES
Day 7 ARLES (B/L/D)
Inspiring Sights and Avant-Garde Lights
Get your daily dose of exercise through a Power Walk in Arles with your Adventure Host, OR:
Attend a Painting Workshop to learn techniques of Vincent van Gogh. You’ll create your own painting in the style of the legendary artist, OR:
Enjoy a Guided Walking Tour of Arles—the captivating city of the Provence region. You’ll visit the Roman Amphitheater in this visually stunning city.
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to the Carrières de Lumières (Cathedral of Images) a unique experience of art, sound, and light in the old quarries of Val d’Enfer.
Take free time to stop in Le Café Van Gogh for a glass of wine.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN ARLES
DAY 8 ARLES (DISEMBARKATION) (B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
Flights should not leave Marseille airport before 10 am.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience. CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites. DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore. ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.