This Christmastime river cruise begins in Austria’s magical capital of Vienna, home to the sounds of Mozart, Strauss, and the Vienna Boys’ Choir. See the famous sights with a Local Guide, or opt to go on a culinary tour through the Christmas markets to get a taste of all the best flavors Austria offers during this time of year. Cruise through the wintery landscape of the picturesque Wachau Valley to Melk. Here, you’ll tour the magnificent 11th century Benedictine Abbey—one of Europe’s largest monasteries—where monks still stroll amidst the sacred walls. Arrive in Passau, Germany, and visit the city’s charming Christmas market set against the breathtaking backdrop of St. Stephen’s Cathedral, a masterpiece of baroque architecture. In Regensburg, after a guided tour of the city, savor traditional sausages at Historiche Wurstküche (Old Sausage Kitchen), one of Germany’s oldest restaurants and enjoy a tasting of German beers.
Learn about Christmas traditions as you cruise to Nuremberg, the thousand-year-old city with its medieval fortifications and gothic churches. The Old Town is illuminated with festive lights and decorations, and the Christmas market has dozens of stalls offering traditional wares, such as Lebkuchen (spicy gingerbread), Glühwein (mulled wine), and unique decorations and ornaments. A unique holiday river cruise vacation which offers the chance to savor the views, smells, and tastes of centuries-old Christmas markets and explore historical medieval sites…a fantastic way to celebrate the holiday season!
- Airfare to Vienna and return from Nuremberg
- 6 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Waterways
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Avalon Choice with your preference of Classic, Active, or Discovery included excursions and sightseeing with Certified Local Guides; and MyAvalon Guided Optional Excursions
- Book by Sep 30: Reduced air and save $1200 per couple! (price reflects below)
|December 14, 2023||Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$252|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $142 per person|
|Air from other gateway cities is available from $199 to $299/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply|
Extend your stay for 2 Nights in Prague! Please call for more information
Day 1 Vienna (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Vienna: City sightseeing; Christmas market
Day 3 Wachau Valley-Melk-Grein: Scenic cruising through the Wachau Valley; guided visit of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk; Onboard Austrian cookies tasting; guided tour in Grein
Day 4 Passau: Guided tour; Christmas market
Day 5 Regensburg: Guided tour; Christmas market
Day 6 Nuremberg: On board Christmas Traditions lecture; choice of guided tour or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour; Christmas market
Day 7 Nuremberg (Disembarkation): Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 VIENNA, AUSTRIA (EMBARKATION)
Welcome to Austria. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Vienna must arrive by 3:30 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
Indulge in traditional holiday fare and hot libations to warm your heart and soul before boarding.
Day 2 VIENNA
Royal Collections and Amusing Attractions
CLASSIC Explore the Habsburg empire this morning on a Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Spend free time on your own to enjoy the Christkindlesmarkt, or relax by the fire’s glow in a Viennese café.
You may join a Guided Optional Tour of Schönbrunn Palace—summer home of the Habsburg dynasty for 300 years.
This evening, you may choose to attend an Optional Excursion to a Royal Waltz Concert for an unforgettable evening of music in an elegant hall.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MELK
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3 MELK–GREIN
Frescoes above the Wachau Valley
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey to marvel at its frescoed ceilings.
DISCOVERY Enjoy an Austrian Cookie Tasting onboard while sailing to Grein.
CLASSIC Take a Guided Walk of Grein, including its historic theater, the oldest in Austria still holding regular performances.
Enjoy live entertainment onboard.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO PASSAU
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 4 PASSAU
Saint Stephens, Salzburg, and the Story of Silent Night
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.”
Later spend some free time in Passau’s charming Christkindlmarkt near magnificent St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
You may like to join a Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg, Austria. See the setting of The Sound of Music, and learn the story behind the beloved Christmas hymn, Silent Night.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO REGENSBURG
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 REGENSBURG
Christmas Magic in Bavaria
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk and see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria—entrance to the Castra Regina fortress built in 179 AD.
Take time to browse Regensburg’s sparkling Christmas markets. Enjoy hot-mulled wine, candied almonds, gingerbread, or bratwurst.
DISCOVERY You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming Thurn and Taxis Palace – one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in Bavaria.
Enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTH
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 6 NUREMBERG
Legends and History Lessons
DISCOVERY Enjoy a Christmas Traditions Lecture on board while sailing this morning.
CLASSIC Choose a Guided Tour of Nuremberg’s medieval architecture, gilded fountain, Gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds—used by the Third Reich.
Spend free time on your own to browse the spruce stalls of the Christmas Markets of Nuremberg. Sample favorite Bavarian fare—from dozens of bratwurst varieties, gingerbread, mulled blueberry wine, and countless other culinary delights of the Christkindlmarkt.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN NUREMBERG
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 7 NUREMBERG (DISEMBARKATION)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different.
Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises.
Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.