From Amsterdam to Budapest, and in many exciting stops along the way, experience the culture of Central Europe in a unique way on this timeless river cruise vacation.
Amsterdam is Holland’s lively capital—both historical and modern. This colorful city is loved for its vibrant mix of sophisticated architecture and classic squares and canals. See the treasures of this 700-year-old city from a unique perspective on a canal cruise along the elegant grachten.
On to Germany for a guided city walk in Cologne—the stunning 2,000-year-old city known for its Gothic-style architecture. Sail through the dramatic Rhine Gorge, offering the most beautiful view of the Rhine River, and stop in the charming wine town of Rüdesheim. Enjoy guided sightseeing in Würzburg, Volkach, Bamberg, Nuremberg, and Regensburg, and sail the Main Danube Canal, which connects the Main and Danube Rivers.
Your first stop in Austria is the lovely town of Melk. Visit its magnificent Benedictine Abbey, then sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley. Your local experts will also introduce you to two capital cities: Vienna, Austria, also known as “The City of Music” for inspiring the creative genius of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss; and lively Budapest, Hungary, with its unique energy and countless must-see sites. This truly is a river cruise to remember!
- Airfare to Amsterdam and return from Budapest
- 14 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Waterways
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Shore excursion and sightseeing of your choice in each city
- Special onboard experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Dec 31: Reduced airfare and save up to $3400 per cabin (price reflects discounts)
|July 1 – October 16, 2024||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Deluxe Stateroom||from $8149|
|Panorama Suite||from $11539|
|Taxes & Fees||$576|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add from $321 per person|
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Price is based on August 10 sailing.
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Extend your stay in Amsterdam or Prague! Please call for more information
Day 1 Amsterdam (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Amsterdam: Canal cruise
Day 3 Cologne: Choice of Cologne highlights walking tour or Jewish Heritage walking tour or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 4 Rhine Gorge–Rüdesheim:Scenic cruise through the Rhine Gorge: Choice of visit to Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum or cable-car ride to the Niederwald Monument in Rüdesheim
Day 5 Main River Village: Guided walk
Day 6 Würzburg: Guided sightseeing, visit the Bishop’s Residence
Day 7 Volkach: Choice of walking tour or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 8 Bamberg: Choice of guided tour, see the Old Town Hall or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 9 Roth: Excursion to Nuremberg:Choice of guided tour in Roth, or guided tour in Nuremberg, or hike with your Adventure Host, or guided tour in Nuremberg, or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour; onboard lecture
Day 10 Regensburg: Choice of guided tour or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 11 Passau-Linz: Guided tour in Passau; free time in Linz
Day 12 Melk-Wachau Valley-Vienna: Guided tour of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk or hike with your Adventure Host; scenic cruise through the Wachau Valley; free time in Vienna
Day 13 Vienna: Choice of guided tour or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 14 Budapest: Scenic cruising into Budapest; choice of guided tour, see Heroes’ Square or hike with your Adventure Host
Day 15 Budapest (Disembarkation): Your vacation ends this morning
Day 1 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (EMBARKATION) (D)
Welcome to Holland. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Amsterdam must arrive by 3:30 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
Spend free time exploring the colorful streets, bridges, and canals of Amsterdam—with its many cafés and art galleries.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Day 2 AMSTERDAM (B/L/D)
Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam with a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.” This afternoon choose among the Guided Optional Excursions available.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO COLOGNE
Day 3 COLOGNE, GERMANY (B/L/D)
Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland.
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Enjoy a bike ride like the locals in Cologne with your Adventure.
DISCOVERY Join a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites, OR;
CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—explore the Old City and see its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral, OR: Don’t miss the chance to enjoy free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years! This evening, enjoy live entertainment on board your ship.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO RÜDESHEIM
Day 4 RHINE GORGE–RÜDESHEIM (B/L/D)
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine Country.
This morning cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge and see the famous rock of the Lorelei.
ACTIVE Take an open-air cable car ride to the Niederwald Monument. Ride or walk back down through the vineyards; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat, OR:
DISCOVERY Tour the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat. Later, local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MAIN RIVER VILLAGE
Day 5 MAIN RIVER VILLAGE (B/L/D)
Beauty on the Main River. Ask about today’s energizing or relaxing Adventure Host activities.
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walking Tour of a picturesque Bavarian village. Spend free time riding a bike through the beautiful villages on the Main River shores.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO WÜRZBURG
Day 6 WÜRZBURG (B/L/D)
A Perfect Day in the Pearl of the Romantic Road
CLASSIC Take a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Würzburg with its Old Main Bridge, towering fortress, and baroque Bishop’s Residenz—with the largest known ceiling fresco. Enjoy the city on your own or visit a local winery.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN WÜRZBURG
Day 7 VOLKACH (B/L/D)
Choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the beautiful Bavarian town of Rothenburg. See the local sights and enjoy the fairytale atmosphere that has inspired artists. Sail to Volkach and get ready for your afternoon activity.
ACTIVE Bike along the Main Danube Canal with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Walking Tour of the quaint town of Volkach with its half-timbered houses and cobblestoned streets.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BAMBERG
Day 8 BAMBERG (B/L/D)
The City of Seven Hills
ACTIVE Your bike is ready! Hop on and bike along the canals in Bamberg with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Walking Tour of the former home to imperial dynasties, and see its Romanesque cathedral, Old Town Hall, and seven hills crowned with churches. Later, enjoy live entertainment performance while sailing this evening.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTH
Day 9 ROTH. EXCURSION TO NUREMBERG (B/L/D)
Legends and History Lessons. Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
ACTIVE Explore Roth’s Lauter valley with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the Bavarian town of Roth—with its half-timbered houses, market square, and 1535 hunting lodge Schloss Ratibor, OR;
CLASSIC Choose a Guided Tour of Nuremberg’s medieval architecture, gilded fountain, gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR;
CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds—used by the Third Reich.
DISCOVERY Enjoy an Onboard Lecture about the Main-Danube Canal—linking these two rivers to make a vital connection enabling navigation between the North and Black Seas.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO REGENSBURG
Day 10 REGENSBURG (B/L/D)
Bavaria’s Medieval Miracle
ACTIVE Explore Walhalla by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk and see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria—built in 179 AD as the entrance to Castra Regina fortress. You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the Benedictine Monastery in Weltenburg. Alternatively, spend a free afternoon exploring Regensburg on foot or by bike through its charming streets.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO PASSAU
Day 11 PASSAU (B/L/D)
Where the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers Meet
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.” You may join a full day Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg, the city of Mozart, or a full-day Guided Optional Excursion to the picturesque Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov.
Alternatively, cruise to the lovely town of Linz. This evening, feel free to explore Linz on your own. Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MELK
Day 12 MELK–WACHAU VALLEY (B/L/D)
Frescoes Above and Vineyards Below
ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Morning Hike through Melk’s beautiful countryside, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the frescoed ceilings, statues, incredible library, and ornate pipe organ of Melk’s Benedictine Abbey, OR: Enjoy a coffee or cocktail on the Sky Deck as you sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley to wonderful Vienna this afternoon.
Viennese Waltzes on the Blue Danube
Consider joining a Guided Optional Excursion to attend a Royal Waltz Concert in an elegant hall this evening.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN VIENNA
Day 13 VIENNA (B/L/D)
Royal Collections and Amusing Attractions
ACTIVE Explore Vienna’s Danube Island by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Explore the Habsburg Empire with a morning Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Join a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace—summer home of the Habsburg familyor choose a Guided Optional Excursion to fascinating Bratislava. Consider a tram ride to Vienna’s Prater amusement park or to one of the many museums nearby. Later, enjoy live entertainment as you sail to Budapest.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BUDAPEST
Day 14 BUDAPEST, HUNGARY (B/L/D)
The Pearl of the Danube
ACTIVE Hike up to a magnificent viewpoint in Budapest with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Sightseeing tour of Budapest, including the iconic Heroes’ Square.
This afternoon choose among a wide offer of Optional Guided Excursions or enjoy Budapest on your own. Indulge in a piece of cream cake in one of the many cafés. Consider a scenic hike above the Danube.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN BUDAPEST
Day 15 BUDAPEST (DISEMBARKATION) (B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.