You’ll start your European vacation with a 2 night stay in Lucerne, Switzerland. Enjoy a guided walking tour in-cluding the Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, Jesuit Church, and a special highlight excursion to Mount Pilatus.
Your dramatic river cruise on the Rhine will commence in Basel, Switzerland, with stops in France, Germany, and Holland. Sail to Breisach, your starting point for an excursion to Black Forest. Then venture on to Strasbourg, France, to see its Gothic cathedral with stunning murals and stained glass.
Sail to Mainz for an excursion to Heidelberg Castle, or join your Avalon Adventure Host® for a hike up Philosophers’ Way. You can alternatively visit the Gutenberg Museum for amazing history of the early pioneers of printing. Sail to Rüdesheim and through the spectacular Rhine Gorge, visit Koblenz and Cologne, and arrive in Amsterdam for a guided canal cruise through the colorful city.
Your scenic river cruise on the Rhine River, with a Monograms vacation package in Switzerland are the perfect combination to unlock a guided European vacation of a lifetime.
- Airfare to Zurich and return from Amsterdam
- 2 nights accommodation in Lucerne with breakfast
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Waterways
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by July 31: Reduced air and save $1900 per couple! (price reflects below)
|June 29, 2023||Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$282|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $175 per person|
|Air from other gateway cities is available from $199 to $299/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply|
Day 1 Lucerne, Switzerland: Welcome to Switzerland
Day 2 Lucerne: Guided walking tour with the Lion Monument and Chapel Bridge
Day 3 Lucerne, Mount Pilatus-Basel (Embarkation): Excursion to Mount Pilatus (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead); onboard welcome reception
Day 4 Breisach: Choice of excursion to Black Forest, or visit to a local winery in Breisach or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 5 Strasbourg: Choice of guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the Gothic cathedral or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 6 Mainz: Choice of guided tour of Heidelberg Castle, see the Great Vat, or hike up Philosophers’ Way, or visit the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz
Day 7 Rüdesheim-Rhine Gorge-Koblenz: Visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim; scenic cruise through the Rhine Gorge; free time in Koblenz
Day 8 Cologne: Choice of “Cologne Highlights” walking tour, or Jewish Heritage walking tour or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 9 Amsterdam: Choice of canal cruise or walk with your Adventure Host
Day 10 Amsterdam (Disembarkation): Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 LUCERNE, SWITZERLAND
Welcome to Switzerland
The day is free to start exploring this delightful town on the Reuss River. Discover the many squares and churches and how tradition and modernity stand side-by-side or spend your free time to enjoy some shopping in the city center.
Day 2 LUCERNE
A Historic Bridge and Heart of a Lion
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walking Tour, which includes the poignant Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, and Jesuit Church.
Day 3 LUCERNE–MOUNT PILATUS–BASEL (EMBARKATION)
Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding
CLASSIC This morning enjoy a special Highlight Excursion to Mount Pilatus. Journey almost 7,000 ft. (2,132 m) up for spectacular views over central Switzerland (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead).
EVENING CRUISE TO BREISACH
Day 4 BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST
German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
ACTIVE Enjoy the view on a relaxing bike ride along the Rhine with your Adventure Host, OR:
DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernohf open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional butter-making demonstration, OR:
DISCOVERY Visit to a local winery in Breisach, where you will learn about German winemaking and enjoy a wine tasting.
You may choose to follow your visit to Badischer Winzerkeller with a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming village of Colmar in the morning, with its half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings.
EVENING CRUISE TO STRASBOURG
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 STRASBOURG, FRANCE
A Grand Cathedral and La Petite France
ACTIVE Discover Strasbourg by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.
You may also choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the historic Maginot Line—the pre-WWII fortifications designed to protect the eastern border of France, or visit Alsace’s wine country today.
Alternatively, take some free time in Strasbourg to visit a museum, or stroll across the city center.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MAINZ
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 6 MAINZ, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO HEIDELBERG
Castle Walls, and the World’s Biggest Wine Barrel
ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below, OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel,” OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Walk in Mainz, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the captivating history of printing.
Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN MAINZ
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 7 RÜDESHEIM–RHINE GORGE
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine Country
ACTIVE Enjoy a hike with your Avalon Adventure Host through the picturesque vineyards of Rüdesheim, OR:
DISCOVERY Take a Guided Tour of the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat.
Sail through the spectacular Rhine Gorge to Koblenz past the legendary rock of The Lorelei—where the siren of mythology sang songs to lure ill-fated sailors.
Travel Through 2000 Years Of Monumental History
Enjoy free time in Koblenz before a relaxing evening on board with dinner and live entertainment.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN KOBLENZ
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 8 COLOGNE
Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Enjoy a bike ride like the locals in Cologne with your Adventure Host, OR:
DISCOVERY Choose a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral.
Spend free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years!
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AMSTERDAM
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 9 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND
Canals of Colorful Amsterdam
ACTIVE Start your day joining your Adventure Host on an early morning walk in Amsterdam, OR:
CLASSIC Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.”
During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year. Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses. You may also choose an Optional Biking Tour to discover the countryside.
Take some free time to explore Amsterdam’s colorful streets and canal houses, galleries, and shops.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 10 AMSTERDAM (DISEMBARKATION)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different.
Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises.
Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.