You’ll start your European vacation with a 2 night stay in Lucerne, Switzerland. Enjoy a guided walking tour in-cluding the Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, Jesuit Church, and a special highlight excursion to Mount Pilatus.
Your winter wonderland river cruise on the Rhine will commence in Basel, Switzerland, with stops in France, Germany, and Holland. Each town is festively lit and decorated and strains of Christmas carols fill the air.
You’ll sail to Breisach, your starting point for an excursion to Black Forest. Then venture on to Strasbourg, France, to see its Gothic cathedral with stunning murals and stained-glass and home to one of the oldest and finest Christmas markets in Europe and its centerpiece is a giant Christmas tree.
Sail to Mainz for an excursion to Heidelberg Castle. You can alternatively visit the Gutenberg Museum for amazing history of the early pioneers of printing. Sail to Rüdesheim and be enthralled by the life-size figures of Europe’s largest nativity scene on the Market Square, before gliding through the spectacular Rhine Gorge—the most beautiful view of the Rhine River where ancient castles stand on cliffs 400 feet above the water.
You’ll visit Koblenz and Cologne–your last stop in Germany. Here, wander through the Christmas market, try some traditional Lebkuchen and get some inner warmth with a cup of Glühwein. Arrive in Amsterdam for a guided canal cruise through the colorful city. Your scenic river cruise on the Rhine River, with a Monograms vacation package in Switzerland are the perfect combination to unlock a guided European vacation of a lifetime.
- 2 night pre-cruise hotel in Lucerne with breakfast
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Panorama
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Jun 30: Save $1200 per cabin! (price reflects below)
|December 12, 2023||Cruise & Land|
|Taxes & Fees||$303|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $175 per person|
Air from other gateway cities is available from $100 to $300/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply
Day 1 Lucerne, Switzerland: Welcome to Switzerland
Day 2 Lucerne: Guided walking tour with the Lion Monument and Chapel Bridge
Day 3 Lucerne, Mount Pilatus-Basel (Embarkation): Excursion to Mount Pilatus (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead); onboard welcome reception
Day 4 Breisach: Black Forest Exursion or visit to a local winery in Breisach
Day 5 Strasbourg: Guided sightseeing, visit La Petite France district and the Gothic cathedral
Day 6 Excursion to Heidelberg. Mainz: Choice of guided tour of Heidelberg Castle, see the Great Vat, or guided walk in Mainz with visit of the Gutenberg Museum; Christmas market
Day 7 Rüdesheim-Rhine Gorge-Koblenz: Visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim; Christmas market; cruise through the scenic Rhine Gorge with breathtaking views of ancient castles, towering cliffs, and the legendary Rock of the Lorelei; Christmas market
Day 8 Cologne: Guided walk; Christmas market
Day 9 Amsterdam: Canal cruise
Day 10 Amsterdam (Disembarkation): Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 LUCERNE, SWITZERLAND
Welcome to Switzerland The day is free to start exploring this delightful town on the Reuss River. Discover the many squares and churches and how tradition and modernity stand side-by-side or spend your free time to enjoy some shopping in the city center.
Day 2 LUCERNE (B)
A Historic Bridge and Heart of a Lion
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walking Tour, which includes the poignant Lion Monument, Old Town, Chapel Bridge, the Water Tower, and Jesuit Church.
Day 3 LUCERNE–MOUNT PILATUS–BASEL (EMBARKATION – B,D)
Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding
CLASSIC This morning enjoy a special Highlight Excursion to Mount Pilatus. Journey almost 7,000 ft. (2,132 m) up for spectacular views over central Switzerland (in case of bad weather, visit the Swiss Transport Museum instead).
EVENING CRUISE TO BREISACH
Day 4 BREISACH, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO BLACK FOREST (B, L, D)
German Winemaking and the Beautiful Black Forest
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the magical Black Forest to experience local traditions and the vibrant Christmas mood, OR:
DISCOVERY Visit to a local winery in Breisach, where you will learn about German winemaking and enjoy a wine tasting. You may choose to follow your visit to Badischer Winzerkeller with a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the charming village of Colmar in the morning, with its half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings.
EVENING CRUISE TO STRASBOURG
Day 5 STRASBOURG, FRANCE (B, L, D)
Joyeux Noël in Strasbourg
CLASSIC Join a City Sightseeing Tour, including Strasbourg’s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District. Savor the warmth and glow of Christmas tradition by spending your free time wandering the French winter markets of Strasbourg. Take in the lights, music, and the pleasures of the season. You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit Alsace’s wine country today.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MAINZ
Day 6 MAINZ, GERMANY. EXCURSION TO HEIDELBERG (B, L, D)
Printing Halls, Castle Walls, and the World’s Biggest Wine Barrel
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel,” OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Walk in Mainz, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the captivating history of printing. In your free time visit the local Christmas market: explore at your own pace to soak up the sights and sound. Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN MAINZ
Day 7 RÜDESHEIM–RHINE GORGE (B, L, D)
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in Wine Country
DISCOVERY Take a Guided Tour of the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience; based on your departure enjoy a local special treat.
Travel Through 2000 Years Of Monumental History Enjoy free time in Koblenz to explore local Christmas market on your own before a relaxing evening on board with dinner and live entertainment.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN KOBLENZ
Day 8 COLOGNE (B, L, D)
Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland
CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral. Spend free time enjoying the festive, warm glow of Cologne’s Christmas markets.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AMSTERDAM
Day 9 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (B, L, D)
Canals of Colorful Amsterdam
CLASSIC Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.” With a free day to explore before your cruise ends, take time to enjoy the warmth and glow of Christmas tradition or join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Day 10 AMSTERDAM (DISEMBARKATION – B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.