Begin your Active & Discovery river cruise vacation with one night in Zagreb to explore the city with a guided tour. Board your Avalon Suite Ship® bound for Belgrade, Serbia. Here, explore the city where the Danube and Sava Rivers meet with a guided bike tour. Cruise through the Iron Gates Gorge after visiting the fascinating Fortress of Golubač or hike in the Djerdap National park. Visit the amazing archaeological site of Lepenski Vir. Sail to Vidin, Bulgaria, to marvel at the remarkable rock formations of the Balkan Mountains in Belogradchik.
You might prefer to explore the city by bike. See the incredible ancient architecture in Veliko Târnovo and Arbanassi, or join your local guide for a hike to Ivanovo Rock Church. Take a guided tour of Constanta on Romania’s Black Sea—with a wealth of Roman history or join a delicious food tour. Disembark your Suite Ship® and spend the night in Bucharest the “Paris of the East.” See the WWI Arc de Triomphe and the Royal Palace Square, and spend free time browsing the shops and cafes of Victory Boulevard. A fascinating Danube River cruise through the beautiful Balkans.
- Airfare to Zagreb and return from Bucharest
- 1 night accommodation in Zagreb with breakfast
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Passion
- 1 night accommodation in Bucharest with breakfast
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Airport transfers to and from the ship
- Book by Jun 30: FREE airfare and save $900 per cabin (price reflects below)
|Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto||July 19, 2023||August 30, 2023|
|Taxes & Fees||$264||$264|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $151 per person|
Air from other gateway cities is available from $100 to $300/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply
Day 1 Zagreb: Welcome to Zagreb
Day 2 Zagreb–Osijek (Embarkation): Guided sightseeing in Zagreb; onboard welcome reception
Day 3 Belgrade: Choice of guided tour or bike tour or meet the locals; on board lecture
Day 4 Golubač–Donji Milanovac–Iron Gates: Visit to Golubač fortress; choice of visit Lepenski Vir archaeological site or Donji Milanovac off the beaten path tour or Djerdap National park hike; scenic cruise through the Iron Gates Gorge
Day 5 Vidin. Excursion to Belogradchik: Choice of guided tour in Vidin, visit Baba Vida Fortress or wine tasting or hiking in Belogradchik
Day 6 Rousse–Excursion to Veliko Târnovo and Arbanassi: Choice of full-day excursion, visit to Tsarevet’s Fortress in Veliko Târnovo and to the Ethnographical Museum and the Church of the Nativity in Arbanassi, or a guided sightseeing in Rousse, or Ivanovo Rock Church hike
Day 7 Constanta: Choice of guided sightseeing, visit the National History and Archaeological Museum or wine tasting or bike tour
Day 8 Fetesti (Disembarkation)–Bucharest: Choice of guided sightseeing in Bucharest or walk the Urban Delta or food tour
Day 9 Bucharest: Your vacation ends this morning
Day 1 ZAGREB, CROATIA
Welcome to Croatia! The day is yours to relax and enjoy Zagreb. Spend some free time exploring this fascinating city on your own to discover its Austro-Hungarian architecture. Do not miss pedestrian-friendly Tkalčićeva Street, lined with outdoor cafes.
Day 2 ZAGREB (B, L, D)
Roman History in the Croatian Capital
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the Croatian capital city of Zagreb and discover its rich history dating from the Roman times to the present day. After enjoying a local lunch, travel to Osijek to board your Avalon Suite Ship® this afternoon.
OSIJEK (EMBARKATION) Your Balkan Adventure Begins Explore your Avalon Suite Ship® this evening and enjoy a dinner on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE BELGRADE
Day 3 BELGRADE, SERBIA (B, L, D)
Fortresses and Folklore Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Get a real taste of Serbia on this guided bike tour focusing on the history of Belgrade, from WWII to today, OR:
DISCOVERY Discover Serbia culture through its food. Enjoy a walk into town while tasting different specialties of the region and learn more about its history and past.OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Belgrade—where the Danube and Sava Rivers converge—and see the city’s many fascinating sights, including Saint Sava, one of the world’s largest Orthodox churches. Spend free time in Belgrade exploring Knez Mihailova Street—Belgrade’s central pedestrian thoroughfare with many lively cafés, shops, and cultural spots.
DISCOVERY Before dinner, attend an onboard Lecture to learn about the rich history, destinations, and culture of the Balkan states. This evening, you might like to join an Optional Excursion for an authentic Bohemian Dinner in the Quarter of Skadarlija.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO GOLUBAČ
Day 4 GOLUBAČ—DONJI MILANOVAC. EXCURSION TO LEPENSKI VIR—IRON GATES GORGE (B, L, D)
A Formidable Fortress
CLASSIC Visit the Fortress of Golubač, one of the best-preserved medieval fortresses in Europe.. You’ll hear about its tumultuous history as a border control defense in the Middle Ages, and a source of conflict between Serbia, the Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire. Enjoy a brief sailing to Donji Milanovac. DONJI MILANOVAC Prehistoric Stones and Iron Gates Gorge
ACTIVE Enjoy this scenic hike through Djerdap National Park and stop along the way to taste some local specialties before returning to your Avalon ship, OR:
DISCOVERY Join a Guided Tour to Lepenski Vir—an important Mesolithic archaeological site chronicling prehistoric cultures, settlements, and art. Marvel at the ancient discoveries and artifacts, as well as the unique views the site affords of the Danube Gorge, OR:
CLASSIC Join a guided tour of Donji Milanovac and learn the basic of the Cyrillic Serbian alphabet inside the local primary school. Meet locals and get to know the art of crocheting while learning about the history of this little Serbian town. Sail through the spectacular and narrow Iron Gates Gorge—a natural border between Serbia and Romania.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO VIDIN
Day 5 VIDIN, BULGARIA (B, L, D)
Rocks, Ruins and Beauty in Bulgaria Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Enjoy a different way of exploring Vidin. Lead by your expert local guide cycle through the pretty roads of this lovely Bulgarian town and learn about its history, OR:
DISCOVERY Get to learn everything about the production technologies of the Bulgarian wines and enjoy a tasting of the various labels produced by a local well-known winery. All accompanied by local snacks and symphonic music.OR:
CLASSIC Join Guided Sightseeing in Vidin, followed by a Guided Tour of Belogradchik. Marvel at the remarkable rock formations on the western slopes of the Balkan Mountains, sculpted by 200 million years of natural elements.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROUSSE
Day 6 ROUSSE. VELIKO TÂRNOVO & ARBANASSI EXCURSION (B, L, D)
Cliff Houses and Revival Architecture
ACTIVE Join your expert local guide on this spectacular hike to Ivanovo Rock Church. Marvel at the monolithic churches, chapels and monasteries built inside the mountains will surprise you with their fascinating and unique style. OR:
DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the former Bulgarian capital of Veliko Târnovo—with its ancient stone houses clinging to the cliffs above the Yantra River. Discover one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria (circa 4300 BC), as well as the Bulgarian Revival architecture in the 15th-century town of Arbanassi, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Bulgaria’s largest inland port and visit its impressive Holy Trinity Church.
EVENING/ OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO CONSTANTA
Day 7 CONSTANTA, ROMANIA (B, L, D)
Natural History at Black Sea
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
Enjoy a leisurely sailing morning.
ACTIVE Bike your way through the beautiful Romanian landscapes to visit a local winery; OR:
DISCOVERY Enjoy a visit to a local winery to learn about traditional Romanian wines with a tasting; OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour to Constanta, the most important commercial center in Romania, situated on the Black Sea. Visit the Natural History and Archeological Museum to discover the fascinating history of early Romanian cultures.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO CERNAVODA
Day 8 FETESTI (DISEMBARKATION)–BUCHAREST (B)
A Night in Bucharest—the “Paris of the East”
Disembark your ship this morning and travel to Bucharest.
ACTIVE Take a guided natural walk in the Văcărești Nature Park. Also known as Urban Delta, this wetland is home to more than 150 different species of birds and small mammals. Enjoy this green get away and learn more about this special green area located only 4km away from the centre of Romania’s capital, Bucharest; OR:
DISCOVERY Discover the joie de vivre of Romanian cuisine — a tasty hodge-podge of Balkan, Ottoman, French, and Russian influences; OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the Romanian capital city of Bucharest with its tree-lined boulevards and Arc de Triomphe—honoring WWI Romanian soldiers. See the Royal Palace Square—the scene of the city’s 1989 riots to overthrow the communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. Spend some free time exploring this fascinating city on your own to discover its trendy shops, cafés, museums, beautiful homes, and churches along Victory Avenue.
Day 9 BUCHAREST (B)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.