Every great story answers the five “Ws” – the who, what, when, where, and why. An Avalon Active & Discovery cruise puts the emphasis on the how. By offering the most diverse selection of interactive experiences along the Lower Danube – from lively biking and hiking tours to lovely food and wine encounters, an Active & Discovery cruise from Serbia to Romania lets you choose how to immerse yourself in the history, heritage, and hospitality of this captivating region.
Formidable medieval fortresses, bustling town squares, lush national parks, and mysterious archeological sites are amplified with our extensive menu of Classic, Discovery, and Active excursions throughout Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. The beauty of the Balkans meets the beauty of choice on an Active & Discovery cruise.
- Airfare to Belgrade and return from Bucharest
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Impression or Passion
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Oct 31: FREE Airfare and save $900 per cabin! (price reflects discount)
|June 19, 2024||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$264|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $145 per person|
|No Single Supplement for Solo Travelers!|
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Other dates are available. Please call to inquire!
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Extend your stay 2 Night in Transylvania! Please call for more information!
Day 1 Belgrade (Embarkation):
Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Belgrade:
Choice of guided tour or bike tour or meet the locals; on board lecture
Day 3 Golubač–Donji Milanovac–Iron Gates:
Visit to Golubač fortress; choice of visit Lepenski Vir archaeological site or Donji Milanovac off the beaten path tour or Djerdap National park hike; scenic cruise through the Iron Gates Gorge
Day 4 Vidin. Excursion to Belogradchik:
Choice of guided tour in Vidin, visit Baba Vida Fortress or wine tasting or hiking in Belogradchik
Day 5 Rousse–Excursion to Veliko Târnovo and Arbanassi:
Choice of full-day excursion, visit to Tsarevet’s Fortress in Veliko Târnovo and to the Ethnographical Museum and the Church of the Nativity in Arbanassi, or a guided sightseeing in Rousse, or Ivanovo Rock Church hike
Day 6 Fetesti. Excursion to Constanta:
Choice of guided sightseeing, or visit the National History and Archaeological Museum or wine tasting or bike tour
Day 7 Fetesti (Disembarkation)–Bucharest:
Choice of guided sightseeing in Bucharest or walk the Urban Delta or food tour
Day 8 Bucharest:
Your vacation ends this morning
Day 1 BELGRADE, SERBIA (EMBARKATION) (D)
Welcome to Serbia! Your Balkan Adventure Begins
Flights into Belgrade must arrive by 3:30 pm. Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
Explore your Avalon Suite Ship® this evening and enjoy a dinner on board.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN BELGRADE
Day 2 BELGRADE (B, L, D)
Fortresses and Folklore
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
Get a real taste of Serbia on this guided bike tour focusing on the history of Belgrade, from WWII to today, OR:
Go way beyond the ordinary, and get to know Belgrade through its remarkable people and innovative minds. .OR:
Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Belgrade—where the Danube and Sava Rivers converge—and see the city’s many fascinating sights, including Saint Sava, one of the world’s largest Orthodox churches.
Spend free time in Belgrade exploring Knez Mihailova Street—Belgrade’s central pedestrian thoroughfare with many lively cafés, shops, and cultural spots. You might consider partaking one of the Optional Excursion available.
Before dinner, attend an onboard Lecture to learn about the rich history, destinations, and culture of the Balkan states.
This evening, you might like to join an Optional Excursion for an authentic Bohemian Dinner in the Quarter of Skadarlija.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO GOLUBAČ
Day 3 GOLUBAČ—DONJI MILANOVAC. EXCURSION TO LEPENSKI VIR—IRON GATES GORGE – DONJI MILANOVAC (B, L, D)
A Formidable Fortress
Visit the Fortress of Golubač, one of the best-preserved medieval fortresses in Europe. You’ll hear about its tumultuous history as a border control defense in the Middle Ages, and a source of conflict between Serbia, the Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire.
Enjoy a brief sailing to Donji Milanovac.
Prehistoric Stones and Iron Gates Gorge
Enjoy this scenic hike through Djerdap National Park and stop along the way to taste some local specialties before returning to your Avalon ship, OR:
Join a Guided Tour to Lepenski Vir—an important Mesolithic archaeological site chronicling prehistoric cultures, settlements, and art. Marvel at the ancient discoveries and artifacts, as well as the unique views the site affords of the Danube Gorge, OR:
Join a guided tour of Donji Milanovac and learn the basic of the Cyrillic Serbian alphabet inside the local primary school. Meet locals and get to know the art of crocheting while learning about the history of this little Serbian town.
Sail through the spectacular and narrow Iron Gates Gorge—a natural border between Serbia and Romania.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO VIDIN
Day 4 VIDIN, BULGARIA (B, L, D)
Rocks, Ruins and Beauty in Bulgaria Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Enjoy a panoramic trek on the rocky landscape of Belogradchik .OR:
DISCOVERY Get to learn everything about the production technologies of the Bulgarian wines and enjoy a tasting of the various labels produced by a local well-known winery. All accompanied by local snacks and symphonic music.OR:
CLASSIC Join Guided Sightseeing in Vidin, visit to Baba Vida Fortress, Bulgaria’s only completely preserved medieval castle.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROUSSE
Day 5 ROUSSE. VELIKO TÂRNOVO & ARBANASSI EXCURSION (B, L, D)
Cliff Houses and Revival Architecture
ACTIVE Join your expert local guide on this spectacular hike to Ivanovo Rock Church. Marvel at the monolithic churches, chapels and monasteries built inside the mountains will surprise you with their fascinating and unique style. OR:
DISCOVERY Join a full-day Guided Tour to the former Bulgarian capital of Veliko Târnovo—with its ancient stone houses clinging to the cliffs above the Yantra River. Discover one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria (circa 4300 BC), as well as the Bulgarian Revival architecture in the 15th-century town of Arbanassi, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Bulgaria’s largest inland port and visit its impressive Holy Trinity Church.
EVENING/ OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO FETESTI
Day 6 FETESTI, ROMANIA. EXCURSION TO CONSTANTA (B, L, D)
Natural History at Black Sea
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
Enjoy a leisurely sailing morning.
ACTIVE Hike your way through the beautiful Romanian landscapes to visit a local winery, OR:
DISCOVERY Enjoy a visit to a local winery to learn about traditional Romanian wines with a tasting; OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour to Constanta, the most important commercial center in Romania, situated on the Black Sea. Visit the Natural History and Archeological Museum to discover the fascinating history of early Romanian cultures.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO FETESTI
Day 7 FETESTI (DISEMBARKATION)–BUCHAREST (B)
A Night in Bucharest—the “Paris of the East”
Disembark your ship this morning and travel to Bucharest.
ACTIVE Take a guided natural walk in the Văcărești Nature Park. Also known as Urban Delta, this wetland is home to more than 150 different species of birds and small mammals. Enjoy this green get away and learn more about this special green area located only 4km away from the centre of Romania’s capital, Bucharest; OR:
DISCOVERY Discover the joie de vivre of Romanian cuisine — a tasty hodge-podge of Balkan, Ottoman, French, and Russian influences; OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the Romanian capital city of Bucharest with its tree-lined boulevards and Arc de Triomphe—honoring WWI Romanian soldiers. See the Royal Palace Square—the scene of the city’s 1989 riots to overthrow the communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu.
Spend some free time exploring this fascinating city on your own to discover its trendy shops, cafés, museums, beautiful homes, and churches along Victory Avenue.
Day 8 BUCHAREST (B)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.