Linking elegant cities and beautiful landscapes, this 7 night river cruise between Nuremberg and Vienna is a classic European passage beloved by generations of travellers. Your journey starts in Nuremberg. Take a guided tour of the city’s historic highlights, from the 900-year-old medieval city walls to the Nazi rally grounds. Back onboard, pass through traditional Germanic countryside to reach Regensburg, a medieval city whose cobblestoned streets lead to landmarks of arresting heritage, and a collection of the oldest bridges on the Danube. Weaving steadily towards the Austrian border, Passau enthrals with its Baroque highlights and imposing hilltop Oberhaus Fortress. Into the Wachau Valley region of northern Austria, you will take a guided hike to Dürnstein Castle or a guided biking tour along the river bank before taking in the beauty of Melk Abbey. Next, head to Vienna, the capital of classical music and tour the Ringstrasse, home to some of the city’s most famous landmarks, including the Spanish Riding School, Burgtheater and the Opera House. Your time on-board concludes with a special farewell dinner, giving you time to raise a toast to the memorable highlights of the Danube.
- Return airfare to Vienna and return from Nuremberg
- Deluxe 7 night all-inclusive river cruise aboard Emerald Dawn
- Airport transfers to and from the ship
- Prepaid gratuities
Book by July 31 for $495 airfare. Plus balcony bookings receive $300 off per person
||August 16, 2019|
|Taxes and fees||$561|
|Victoria, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton||same as Vancouver|
It’s Amazing What’s also Included:
- Boutique contemporary hotel feel, with spectacular on board heated pool, cinema, spa and lounge
- Spacious, comfortable accommodations with panoramic suites and staterooms
- Gourmet all-included on board meals and highlight dinner events, al-fresco on The Terrace or in the well-appointed Reflections Restaurant
- Enjoy in depth cultural experiences with our EmeraldPLUS excursions; cheese and olive tasting or Provencal dinner on board hosted by a local chef
- Emerald’s Concierge Service* – served right to your suite, enjoy continental breakfast, predinner canapés and after dinner treats
- A refined selection of wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany lunch and dinner
- Tea and coffee available at all times
- Bottled water restocked daily in your cabin
- Built-in adventure, with an included on shore excursion at every port
- Visits to many UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Emerald Active guided biking and hiking tours
- Excellent service from an English speaking crew
- Knowledgeable, personable local destination guides
- Complimentary bicycles on board
- Complimentary on board Wi-Fi
Day 1 Sat, 17 Aug Arrival Vienna (D)
Welcome to Vienna, the city of Waltz. You will be met and transferred from the airport to your Emerald Waterways luxury river cruise ship.
Day 2 Sun, 18 Aug Vienna (B,L,D)
Today you have a choice of either exploring Austria’s capital beginning with a drive along the Ringstrasse, where we will see some of Vienna’s world–famous sights such as the Opera House, Burgtheater, Town Hall, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the Hofburg Imperial Palace. Alternatively, join the guided bike tour instead of the drive around and guided walk. Then, you have free time to sample the wonderful tastes of Vienna.
EmeraldACTIVE: Guided bike Tour
DiscoverMORE: Exclusive Viennese concert with music from Mozart and Strauss (extra expense)
Day 3 Mon, 19 Aug Dürnstein – Melk (B,L,D)
In the morning we arrive in Dürnstein, one of the most enchanting villages of the Wachau wine region. This is the site of the castle where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned after returning from the crusades in the 12th century. Thereafter you drive through the picturesque landscape of this district to the 900–year old Benedictine Abbey of Melk, which features Austria’s finest Italian baroque architecture.
EmeraldACTIVE: Guided hike to Dürnstein Castle
EmeraldACTIVE: A guided biking tour along the Danube River from Dürnstein to Melk
Day 4 Tue, 20 Aug Linz (B,L,D)
Linz, the European capital of culture in 2009 is a lively, modern city with long and eventful history, reflected in the architecture of the city centre with its unique Baroque Hauptplatz. After your tour, you will have time to stroll through the marvelous old quarter of the city or sit in a typical Austrian Coffee House to taste some local specialties.
Day 5 Wed, 21 Aug Passau (B,L,D)
Cruise along the Danube this morning, in the afternoon we reach Passau. Cobblestone streets and graceful arcades welcome you in this beautiful city. On this afternoon’s walking tour, stroll through the old town’s narrow alleys and see the hilltop Oberhaus Fortress from the town below. Visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral, a wonderful example of Baroque architecture and home to Europe’s largest church organ with more than 17,000 pipes.
EmeraldACTIVE: Hike around Passau Area
DiscoverMORE: Open Air Museum (extra expense)
DiscoverMORE: Bavarian Beer Evening (extra expense)
Day 6 Thu, 22 Aug Regensburg (B,L,D)
After breakfast we arrive in magnificent Regensburg. On our guided walking tour, you will have the chance to see one of the oldest bridges crossing the Danube and see the city’s architectural highlights including the Old Town Hall.
EmeraldPLUS: Traditional Bavarian Band on board
EmeraldPLUS: Organ Concert
Day 7 Fri, 23 Aug Nuremberg (B,L,D)
Today, you will have a sightseeing coach tour of the historic city of Nuremberg. Your coach tour would pass by the sights of the 900-year-old ramparts, the Justice Palace where the War Crimes Tribunal sat in 1946, the Nazi party rally grounds, where rallies were held from 1933 until 1938 among other historical sights. Afterwards, take a self-guided tour of the WWII Documentation Centre or instead enjoy free time in the city centre.
Day 8 Sat, 24 Aug Nuremberg Disembarkation (B)
After breakfast, it is time to farewell your fellow passengers and disembark the ship for your transfer to Nuremberg Airport.