Explore the Rhine River your way on Avalon Active & Discovery river cruise. Choose included classic sightseeing, Active excursions, or Discovery activities in culture and cuisine. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or an art lover, you’ll find the Avalon Choice® inclusions that speak to you! Visit the Chocolate Museum in Cologne, take a guided culinary walk in Düsseldorf, and taste regional wines in Eltville. In Koblenz, take a cable-car ride up to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for magnificent views of the surrounding area. Aboard your Avalon Suite Ship®, you’ll pass through the magnificent Rhine Gorge and enjoy specialty dishes while cruising. Your Rhine River cruise ends in Amsterdam for a day full of activities. See the colorful streets and row house doors of Amsterdam your way—from a relaxing canal cruise to a leisurely biking tour—all at your pace! Choose a painting class to recreate the masterpieces of Dutch artists. Join us for a Rhine River cruise like no other, with more freedom to cruise your way.
- Deluxe 7 night cruise aboard Avalon Illumination
- All meals on board. Choice of complimentary wine, beer or soft drinks are included with dinner & lunch and sparkling wine with breakfast. Complimentary specialty coffees, tea, and filtered water refill stations are available 24 hours a day.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Vacation Highlights
Frankfurt (Embarkation): onboard welcome reception
Mainz–Rüdesheim–Bingen: choice of visit to the Eberbach Monastery, Eltville guided tour with wine tasting, or nature walk in Eltville; free time in Rüdesheim
Rhine Gorge–Boppard–Engers: cruise through the Rhine Gorge; choice of visit to Marksburg Castle, or Ehrenbreitstein Fortress with a cable car ride, or Volcano Tour experience
Cologne: choice of jogging tour, “off the beaten track” sightseeing, or a visit the chocolate museum, or Cologne highlights walking tour
Düsseldorf: choice of guided city sightseeing, biking tour, or culinary tour
Arnhem–Nijmegen: choice of biking tour, guided sightseeing in Arnhem, or guided tour of Arnhem’s Kröller-Müller Museum; free time in Nijmegen
Amsterdam: choice of painting class, or biking tour, or canal cruise
Book by Nov 9!
|August 23, 2021||Cruise Only|
|Taxes & Fees||$268|
|Pre-Pay Gratuities add $166|
|Kelowna add from $199 more|
Included for Every Avalon Guest
- Panoramic windows throughout the ship
- Elegant, contemporary design & decor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship
- Avalon FreshSM healthy cuisine options
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks at lunch & dinner
- Avalon Choice® cruising experience
- Included sightseeing with headsets by Certified Local Guides
- Complimentary Nordic walking sticks
- Complimentary bicycles available for time on shore
- Local FavoritesSM – onboard cultural & artisan experiences
- Sky Deck shade system & premium lounge chairs
- Well-stocked library with books, cards, and games
- Comfort Collection BedsSM
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control
- Complimentary bottled water daily
- Club Lounge with 24-hour, self-serve beverage station
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate & teas
- Cookies & fresh fruit available throughout the day
- And, much more
|Day 1 FRANKFURT, GERMANY (EMBARKATION)
Welcome to Germany. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Frankfurt must arrive before 3 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN MAINZ
|Day 2 MAINZ. EXCURSIONS TO ELTVILLE
Fantastical Forests and Famous Vineyards
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
ACTIVE For some exercise before lunch, join a Guided Nature Walk along one of the Rheinsteig walking trails through Eltville’s idyllic forest and vineyards, OR:
Sail to Rüdesheim this afternoon, where you will have time to discover this picturesque village.
Enjoy dinner on board while cruising to Bingen this evening.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN BINGEN
|Day 3 RHINE GORGE–BOPPARD
Spectacular Riverscapes and a Jewel on the Rhine
Enjoy breakfast on board as you cruise through the spectacular Rhine Gorge on your way to Boppard.
ACTIVE Take a Guided Tour of Marksburg Castle, visit its battlements overlooking the Rhine, and take a scenic walk down the surrounding hillside to Brauback Old town, OR:
DISCOVERY For a unique experience, join us on an excursion to the “Lava City” of Mendig for a Vulcano Encounter, including exploring the caverns and corridors where basalt (cold lava) was mined, OR:
CLASSIC Take a leisurely Guided Walk of ancient Koblenz, including a cable car ride to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for a spectacular panoramic view.
At day’s end, you’ll dine aboard your ship as you cruise to Engers.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN ENGERS
|Day 4 BONN
Biergartens in Beethoven’s Birthplace
Take advantage of some free time in Bonn this morning.
Prost! Celebrate in the Rhineland
ACTIVE For a unique view of Cologne’s history and beauty, join us on a Jogging Tour of the city, OR:
DISCOVERY Discover the people and true spirit of Cologne on this fascinating guided walking tour through the Belgian Quarter, OR:
DISCOVERY Visit Cologne’s Chocolate Museum and learn the process of chocolate production and ancient history of this food of the gods, OR:
Enjoy live entertainment on board this evening.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜSSELDORF
|Day 5 DÜSSELDORF
Avant-Garde Architecture and Amazing Altbiers
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Join a City Biking Tour to discover interesting stories about the sights and the city itself along the way, OR:
DISCOVERY Experience Düsseldorf’s Old Town and get an insight into its culinary diversity, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Tour of Düsseldorf. Visit the Old Town, but also discover its spectacular subway line, where each station has an individual magic character.
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to Düsseldorf’s microbreweries to try a variety of Altbiers.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ARNHEM
|Day 6 ARNHEM
Wildlife, WWII Valor, and Van Gogh
ACTIVE Biking Join a Biking Tour on the Hoge Veluwe National Park and admire its diversity of scenery, from dense forests to sand dune, OR:
DISCOVERY Join a Guided Sightseeing to discover Arnhem-a key WWII operations site and home to impressive historical monuments and memorials-then visit a medieval castle for a regional herb and vegetable product tasting, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of Arnhem’s Kröller-Müller Museum with the world’s second largest Van Gogh collection.
Delicious Dutch Specialties and Famous Mills
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to the Windmill of Thorn or an Optional Cooking Workshop.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AMSTERDAM
|Day 7 AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND
Colorful Canals of Amsterdam
DISCOVERY Attend a Painting Class and be inspired by the masters’ techniques. Paint your own canvas and discover your inner artist. An orientation walk will complete your experience, OR:
DISCOVERY Join a Biking Tour through the Dutch countryside past polders, dykes, and quaint centuries-old villages, OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Canal Cruise to explore the iconic waterways and sites of Amsterdam.
This afternoon consider an Optional Culinary Walk in one of Amsterdam’s famous districts, or an Optional Kayaking Excursion.
Spend free time strolling at leisure through the galleries and cafés of Amsterdam.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
|Day 8 AMSTERDAM (DISEMBARKATION)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Not Included in the Vacation Price:
Passports; visas and vaccinations; tips to your tour director, tour driver, local city guides; gratuities on ferries, trains and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; mini bar; alcohol, beverages and food not on the regular table d’hôte menu (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel or restaurant); optional excursions; porterage at airports; travel protection; excess baggage fees; all other items of a personal nature.