With its ancient culture and the Himalayas as a backdrop, mountainous Nepal is a wealth of centuries-old stupas and temples. Bhutan, with the happiest citizens on earth, is an oasis of tranquillity. On this trip you will enjoy VIP treatment at a traditional mask dance and cultural show, explore the bustling streets of Thamel by rickshaw and flex your culinary skills preparing some Bhutanese delicacies!
Travel Best Bets Package Includes
- Round trip airfare to Kathmandu
- 9 nights guided vacation, with stays in exceptional accommodation
- Internal airfare as stated in itinerary
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B), 3 Lunches (L) and 5Dinners with wine (DW)
- INCLUSIVE LUXURY GOLD SERVICES
- You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Relax in comfort on Luxury Gold’s air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom, onboard restroom and and complimentary bottled water for you to enjoy while travelling.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travelling Concierge will enchant you with a Luxury Gold Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- At every hotel, you’ll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
- Included return airfares from Kathmandu to Paro. Included complimentary, private transfers are available on your arrival and departure day, and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold.
- Paro: Have VIP treatment at a special traditional mask dance and cultural show. A key way that Bhutanese people pass on their social values to the next generation, this show includes a spectrum of entertainment bringing elements of folk, song, music all in ornate costumes and masks.
- Kathmandu: Meet a local who has summited Everest and learn about the role played by Sherpa people in Everest expeditions.
- Kathmandu: Ride by rickshaw through the bustling streets of the Thamel district.
- Kathmandu: During sightseeing with your Travelling Concierge see Durbar Square and the ancient Royal Palace complex.
- Kathmandu: Visit the holy shrine of Swayambhunath and Patan’s temple of Teleju, the Statue of Yogendra Malla and a Tibetan Handicraft Centre.
- Fly to Paro: Experience the top of the world as you fly through the Himalayas to reach Paro.
- Thimphu: Enjoy an evening orientation through the city centre with your Travelling Concierge.
- Thimphu: Sightseeing with a Local Expert includes the National Library and the Textile and Folk Heritage Museum. At the School for the Arts, Zorig Chusum, you’ll see students learning the 13 traditional arts of Bhutan.
- Punakha: Visit the winter residence of the monk body that is also the capital of Bhutan – Punakha Dzong.
- Punakha: Walk to Chimi Lhakhang temple and admire the magnificent views over the Losesa Valley.
- Ta Dzong: Visit Bhutan’s National Museum to see the impressive collection of art and relics.
- Thimphu: Visit the National Memorial Chorten, dedicated to world peace, along with Tasichho Dzong, known as the fortress of the glorious religion. You will also visit the bustling market, an opportunity to mix with the locals.
- Paro: Visit Kyichu Lakhang, one of the oldest and most sacred shrines in the Kingdomand Drugyel Dzong, built to commemorate the 1646 victory over the Tibetan invaders.
- Paro: Join a hike to Taktshang Monastery known as the Tiger’s Nest. The hike is a round-trip of about five hours, so it’s a good idea to bring comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear.
- Fly to Kathmandu: Fly through the Himalayas once again to return to Kathmandu.
- Kathmandu: See the holiest of Hindu shrines, Pashupatinath Temple.
- Kathmandu: Visit Nepal’s most important Buddhist site, Bodhnath. It is also the ancient capital of Bhadgaon.
- Kathmandu: Meet a local pottery craftsman who will explain the traditions and processes of their works, before guiding you as you try for yourself.
- Kathmandu: Join your Travelling Concierge and mingle with your fellow guests during your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant.
- Paro: Try your hand at cooking some local Bhutanese delicacies in our cooking demonstration with a local chef. See if you can handle the hot red chillies or perhaps the local Bhutanese cheese would be more to your taste?
- Kathmandu: During your Celebration Dinner indulge in delicious Nepalese cuisine.
- Dining Summary: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 2 Lunches (L), 1 Afternoon Tea (AT) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW).
Book and pay by February 27 and save $700 (price reflects savings)
|September 22, 2020||Based on Double|
|Vancouver||$10599+ $453 tax|
|Kelowna, Victoria, Comox
|add from $300 more per person|
|Single Room Supplement||add $4150|
(Travel Director and Driver)
|add $107 per person|
Day 1 – Kathmandu.
Your complimentary, private transfer takes you to your local departure airport. On arrival at Kathmandu’s Tribhuvan International Airport, you will be greeted and transferred to your hotel. At 17:00, visit the bustling Thamel neighbourhood, and explore the streets on a rickshaw. Gather with your fellow travellers and enjoy a delicious Welcome Dinner at Le Sherpa Restaurant.(Dinner with Wine)
Day 2 – Kathmandu Sightseeing.
The beating heart of Kathmandu is Durbar Square and the ancient Royal Palace complex, laced with myriad temples, courtyards, statues and home to the Living Goddess. Visit the holy shrine of Swayambhunath then head on to Patan’s temple of Teleju and the Statue of Yogendra Malla, before enjoying lunch. This evening, journey to Boudhanath stupa where you will meet with the monks for a private puja ceremony (blessing ceremony). A stupa is a hemispherical-like structure that is used as a place for meditation. During this sacred experience, hear traditional chanting, drumming and tales of the monks lives inside the temple. Visiting a monastery and seeking blessing from the Buddha is a very sacred moment and an experience to cherish. Later head back to your traditional hotel, an agreeable nod to the cultural splendour of the valley, with its décor and furniture all influenced by the local area.(Breakfast / Lunch)
Day 3 – Kathmandu, Paro and Thimphu.
Transfer to the airport for your flight over the Himalayas. You are welcomed on arrival in Paro and transferred to Thimphu, the modern capital of Bhutan, the last great Himalayan kingdom. In the evening, join your Travelling Concierge for a walk through the centre of town to experience your first taste of Bhutan life up-close.(Breakfast)
Day 4 – Thimphu.
Head to Thimphu, the centre of government, religion and commerce for this small mountain kingdom. Home to civil servants and the monk body, Thimphu is an eclectic mix of tradition and modernity. Visit the National Memorial Chorten, a monument to world peace, and Tashichho Dzong, the ‘fortress of the glorious religion’. Later, visit the bustling weekend market, full of photo opportunities and the chance to mingle with locals. In the evening, you join will a local family to share a home-cooked meal.(Breakfast / Dinner)
Day 5 – Punakha sightseeing.
Sightseeing continues with a visit to the National Library to see a vast collection of ancient Buddhist texts and manuscripts and the Textile and Folk Heritage Museum. You’ll also visit the Institute for Zorig Chusum – the School for the Arts – to see students learning the 13 traditional arts of Bhutan. Travel on to Punakha Dzong, the capital of Bhutan until 1955, and still the winter residence of the monk body. This afternoon is at leisure, why not enjoy the spa facilities at the Boutique Resort?(Breakfast)
Day 6 – Chimi Lhakhang.
In the morning, enjoy a walk to Chimi Lhakhang, a sacred destination for Buddhists. The temple was built in the 15th century by Lama Drukpa Kunley, who travelled throughout Bhutan and Tibet using outrageous antics to provoke people to discard their preconceptions. The views from the temple are spectacular and are worth the walk! The afternoon is at leisure.(Breakfast)
Day 7 – Punakha to Paro.
Today you journey to Paro. On the way, participate in a prayer flag hoisting ceremony, an integral part of Bhutanese landscape, at Dochula pass. It is believed that when prayer flags flutter, they carry a blessing to everyone around. In Paro, explore Ta Dzong, built to defend Rinpung Dzong during the 17th century. It now serves as Bhutan’s National Museum. Later, walk down a hillside trail to see Rinpung Dzong, ‘fortress of the heap of jewels’ and visit Kyichu Lakhang, one of the oldest and most sacred shrines in the kingdom. You’ll also visit Drukgyel Dzong, built to commemorate the 1646 victory over the Tibetan invaders. Experience Paro Your Way with a choice to enjoy a private traditional mask dance and cultural show where you will witness a showcase of fascinating dance performances. Alternatively, attend an archery range to interact with the locals and learn about their passion for the national sport. Join a local chef for a cooking demonstration showing you how local Bhutanese delicacies are prepared. Try your hand at the preparation and taste Bhuthan’s national dish. Enjoy a private traditional mask dance and cultural show, the leading way Bhutanese people transmit social values.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 8 – Paro and Tiger’s Nest Hike.
Embark on a hike to the Taktshang Monastery, also known as Tiger’s Nest. The monastery clings to a cliff face 3,120 metres above sea level, however the elevation of the walk is done at a gentle pace over approximately 500 metres from start to finish, with plenty of time to rest and take in the experience.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner with Wine)
Day 9 – Kathmandu Sightseeing.
After an early morning flight to Kathmandu, spend the day exploring in this fantastic capital city. See one of the holiest Hindu shrines, Pashupatinath Temple, on the banks of the Bagmati. Learn about the traditional pottery-making process and try your hand at a pottery making class, with a local craftsman. In the evening, toast to your newfound friends at a Celebration Dinner at your hotel.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 10 – Depart Kathmandu.
After breakfast at the hotel, you will be transferred to the Tribhuvan International Airport for your onward flights. On arrival at your home airport, your driver will greet and escort you to your waiting car for your private transfer home.(Breakfast)
Canadian Passport holders require visas for Nepal and Bhutan.
The visa for Nepal can be obtained at the Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport. Guests must bring approx. $30.00 USD cash per person (subject to change) and 2 recent coloured passport-sized photos. This is a 15-day multiple entry visa. Please review documents sent with your invoice.
The visa for Bhutan must be obtained prior to departure, through Luxury Gold. Please send a CLEAR COLOURED copy of the guests’ passport to [email protected] at least 50 days prior to departure. * Luxury Gold requires guests to provide full name as per passport and all passport details.
* Guests must contact the consulate/embassy and family doctor for further details on medical vaccinations that may be required for specific countries.
* There is a 20 Kg/44 lbs checked baggage and 7-8 Kg/15-17 lbs hand carry-on weight limit per person on all internal flights. Any checked or carry-on baggage in excess may be subject to excess baggage fees of approx. US$5 per kg.
* Smaller vehicles without 40 seats or on board washrooms may be used.
* Your Escorted Journey begins on Day 1. Please make sure flights arrive on or before this day. There is a Welcome Dinner at 5:00pm.
Wherever you go, we’ll delight and surprise you with amazing experiences, tastes, sights, sounds and people.
With specialist knowledge of exclusive VIP experiences, fine dining and luxury hotels, we are dedicated to bringing you journeys shaped by our family heritage of close to 100 years of high-end travel industry expertise and a total commitment to service.
You can unplug, relax, enjoy, open up to the charm of different cultures and let us take care of every little detail.
Exclusive VIP Experiences
Each journey includes exclusive VIP experiences unique to Luxury Gold. We’ll introduce you to incredible people renowned within their specialist fields. You will have exclusive access to famous landmarks not open to the general public and have access to “sold out” tickets to cultural events, many of which are near-impossible to access as an any independent traveller.
When dining becomes an unforgettable experience. When you travel with us, we’ll take you into a whole dazzlingly diverse world of truly memorable ways to dine.
From boutique hotels to castles and country houses, sophistication and luxury await you every night of your journey.
Expect: A HAND-CRAFTED SELECTION OF HOTELS, EXCEPTIONAL COMFORT, DESIRABLE LOCATIONS, IMPECCABLE SERVICE
Your Travelling Concierge
At your service – Available around the clock, your Travelling Concierge will ensure your trip exceeds your highest expectations. Of course, that includes taking care of all the practical details of a smooth running journey, like hotel check-ins and baggage transfers. But there’s so much more to it than that, because their service is tailored to your interests and preferences. Connected with the locals and able to speak their language, your Travelling Concierge can suggest restaurants, spas and other activities they know you’ll love. It’s all part of their passion to offer you an unforgettable experience, every step of the way.
Local People, Local Experts – One of the most valuable aspects of your Travelling Concierge’s role is to help you connect authentically with the places you visit by meeting local people, and hearing their stories.
Wherever you go, we’ll delight and surprise you with amazing experiences, tastes, sights, sounds and people.
No Finer Way to Travel – Explore Europe in a luxury motor coach. Traverse Ireland and Scotland in a private chauffeur-driven Mercedes. Experience our joint programmes with Uniworld on a boutique luxury rivership, or take in an African safari from a plush Jeep. Wherever in the world you go, you’ll always travel in comfort and class – and in the style best suited to exploring each destination.
Small Group Travel – All our journeys are smaller than you’ll find elsewhere, with no more than 40 guests. Better still, some of our trips to Europe and other destinations are limited to 24 guests. So you can savour personal service and companionship – and faster, smoother travel, with fewer people disembarking at each destination.
With Relaxed Starts, Time is On Your Side – Your journey delicately balances organised events with personal leisure time – which your Travelling Concierge can help you plan. Leaving plenty of time to indulge in luxurious hotel amenities and spa treatments. And on Relaxed Start days, we won’t set off before 9am. Just look for the RS symbol in your itinerary.
Luxury Gold Cares
Enriching Travel Experiences – As one of The Travel Corporation’s (TTC) family of brands, Luxury Gold is a founding member of the TreadRight Foundation and shares a collective desire to protect and conserve the stunningly beautiful environments, fascinating cultures and awe-inspiring communities of our natural world. TreadRight is a not-for-profit organisation that works tirelessly to ensure the environment and communities we visit remain for generations to come. Since 2008, TreadRight has supported more than 40 sustainable tourism projects worldwide, working with expert project partners who directly oversee these projects on the ground. When travelling with Luxury Gold on select itineraries, you’ll see some of these incredible projects in action. In Perugia, experience one of the last remaining hand-weaving textiles in Italy, reminiscent of great medieval and renaissance textile traditions in Italy. In choosing Luxury Gold you are helping TreadRight continue its life-changing work. Visit TreadRight.org for more information