This timeless European river cruise vacation begins with two nights in vibrant Budapest, Hungary before sailing along the Danube River with exciting stops in Austria and Germany. Your Danube River cruise concludes in the golden city of Prague—the capital of the Czech Republic. In Budapest, Hungary’s lively capital, marvel at the eight bridges spanning the river and enjoy an introduction to the city by a local expert who shows you the must-see sights. Embark your Avalon Suite Ship® from Budapest and enjoy an amazing view of the landscapes of Bratislava while sailing. Vienna, Austria, offers stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Habsburg Palace, and the Vienna Opera House.
In the heart of the Wachau wine region is Dürnstein, a 16th-century town with charming cobblestone streets and the baroque Stiftskirche with its luminous blue façade. In Melk, visit majestic Benedictine Abbey, one of Europe’s largest monasteries, and enjoy a tasting of some of the Wachau Valley’s famous Austrian wines. You’ll love a guided walk through Passau, with its narrow streets and beautiful Patrician houses. Further up the Danube River, you’ll arrive at the medieval walls of Regensburg—the only German city not bombed during WWII. Your last stop is the 1000-year-old city of Nuremberg, where you’ll marvel at the medieval fortifications, extraordinary Gothic churches, and the Imperial Castle. Disembark and travel to beautiful Prague. See the sights with a Local Guide and enjoy exploring on your own. Stroll across Charles Bridge, mix with the locals on Wenceslaus Square, and shop for hand-cut crystal and art books. A perfect ending to a memorable river cruise vacation!
- Airfare to Budapest and return from Prague
- 2 pre nights accommodation in Budapest with breakfast
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Waterways
- 2 post nights accommodation in Prague with breakfast
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Mar 28: Reduced air and save $1000 per couple! (price reflects below)
|August 11, 2022||Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$289|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $184 per person|
|Air from other gateway cities available from $199 to $299/person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees). Terms apply|
Day 1 Budapest: Welcome to Budapest!
Day 2 Budapest: Guided tour, see Heroes’ Square
Day 3 Budapest (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 4 Vienna: Scenic sailing, pass through Bratislava; free time in Vienna in the evening
Day 5 Vienna: Choice of guided sightseeing or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 6 Dürnstein-Wachau Valley-Melk: In Dürnstein choice of guided tour or a hike up to the castle ruins with your Adventure Host; scenic cruise through the Wachau Valley; choice of guided tour of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk or hike with your Adventure Host; onboard wine tasting
Day 7 Passau: Guided walk
Day 8 Regensburg: Choice of guided walk, see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 9 Roth. Excursion to Nuremberg: On board lecture; choice of guided sightseeing in Roth or hike with your Adventure Host or guided tour in Nuremberg, or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour; onboard beer tasting
Day 10 Nuremberg (Disembarkation)-Prague: Travel to Prague
Days 11 Prague: Guided sightseeing, see the Astronomical Clock and visit Hradcany Castle grounds
Day 12 Prague: Your vacation ends this morning
Day 1 BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
Welcome to Budapest—Hungary’s Captivating Capital
The day is yours to relax and enjoy Eastern Europe’s shining city on the Danube.
Day 2 BUDAPEST
The Pearl of the Danube in the Heart of Europe
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided City Sightseeing, including the iconic Heroes’ Square.
Take in the beauty of Budapest while enjoying a free afternoon exploring such famous sights as the Chain Bridge. Get to know the city’s cafés and pubs, or take a hike through the hills above the Danube.
Day 3 BUDAPEST (EMBARKATION)
Time for Coffee, and Confections
With a free day to explore before your cruise, take time to take photographs on the Royal Palace grounds in this treasure trove of historical architecture. Try Budapest’s famous thermal bath spas, then lunch in a garden or rooftop eatery before boarding your Suite Ship®.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO VIENNA
Day 4 VIENNA, AUSTRIA
Viennese Waltzes on the Beautiful Blue Danube
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
Enjoy sailing the Danube, which shares dozens of miles with Hungary and Slovakia. Relax on the Sky Deck to see the rolling landscape and red-rooftops of the Slovakian capital of Bratislava come into view.
This evening in Vienna, you may choose to join an Optional Excursion to attend a Royal Waltz Concert for an unforgettable evening of music in an elegant hall.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN VIENNA
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 VIENNA
Royal Collections and Amusing Attractions
ACTIVE Explore Vienna’s Danube Island by bike with your Adventure Host, OR; CLASSIC Explore the Habsburg empire this morning on a Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Join a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace— summer home of the Habsburg Empire.
Enjoy free time this afternoon to take a tram to visit Vienna’s Prater amusement park or one of the many museums nearby. You may also borrow a bike from the ship to explore Vienna’s square or the banks of the Danube.
Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜRNSTEIN
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 6 DÜRNSTEIN
A King’s Ransom and Castle Ruins
ACTIVE Join a Hike up to the castle ruins with your Adventure Host for a spectacular view of the village, Danube, and the Wachau Valley below, OR: CLASSIC Join a Guided Walk, and hear the legendary tale of King Richard the Lionheart—who was imprisoned in the castle above the village during the Crusades.
Enjoy coffee or a cocktail on the Sky Deck as you sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley to Melk.
Frescoes Above and Vineyards Below
ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Morning Hike through Melk’s beautiful countryside, OR: CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey to marvel at its frescoed ceilings, statues, incredible library, and ornate pipe organ.
DISCOVERY Enjoy the flavors of the Wachau Valley with a Wine Tasting on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO PASSAU
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 7 PASSAU, GERMANY
Where the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers Meet
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.”
Alternatively, join a full-day Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg—the city of Mozart—or to the picturesque Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov.
Meet your ship back in Passau after your full-day selected activity for sailing.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO REGENSBURG
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 8 REGENSBURG
Bavaria’s Medieval Miracle
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Explore Walhalla by bike with your Adventure Host, OR: CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk and see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria—built in 179 AD as the entrance to Castra Regina fortress.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the Benedictine Monastery in Weltenburg.
Alternatively spend a free afternoon exploring Regensburg on foot or by bike through its charming streets.
This evening, enjoy live entertainment after dinner as you cruise toward Roth.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTH
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 9 ROTH. EXCURSION TO NUREMBERG
Legends and History Lessons
DISCOVERY Enjoy an Onboard Lecture about the Main-Danube Canal—linking these two rivers to make a vital connection enabling navigation between the North and Black Seas.
ACTIVE Explore Roth’s Lauter valley with your Adventure Host, OR: CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the Bavarian town of Roth—with its half-timbered houses, market square, and 1535 hunting lodge Schloss Ratibor, OR: CLASSIC Choose a Guided Sightseeing of Nuremberg—with its medieval architecture, gilded fountain, Gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR: CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds—used by the Third Reich.
DISCOVERY Later, indulge in a Beer Tasting on board.
EVENING CRUISE TO NUREMBERG
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 10 NUREMBERG (DISEMBARKATION)–PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
Welcome to Prague! Explore the City of 100 Spires
Enjoy free time to explore the Golden City of Prague and its surrounding countryside. Consider sampling delicious plum dumplings and traditional Pilsner lager beside the Vltava River.
Day 11 PRAGUE
Gothic Cathedrals, Grand Castles, and Great Cuisine
CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk, and visit the Hradčany Castle Grounds; see St. Vitus Cathedral, and Old Town’s Astronomical Clock.
Spend free time hiking the nearby hillsides, or stay in town to stroll the city of Prague to photograph its stunning cityscape.
You might catch the entertaining street performers, visit the market stalls at Charles Bridge, and sample Prague’s famous beer varieties in a local restaurant.
Day 12 PRAGUE
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different.
Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Avalon FlexDiningSM for more venue and seating options, including flexible seating times in our Panorama Dining Room
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with every lunch and dinner
- Early and Late Riser breakfast options
- Daily a la carte breakfast with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily specials
- Daily a la carte lunch including regional specialties, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and classic dishes*
- Alternative light lunch at Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather permitting)
- Daily Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, sweet treats & sandwiches
- Daily four-course a la carte dinner in the Panorama Dining Room with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts. Includes selections of regional recipes, Western dishes and vegetarian options.
- Enjoy a tasting menu with a view in the Panorama Bistro – a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere while lingering over several satisfying selections
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine and canapés
- Panorama Lounge featuring premium spirits and Avalon specialty cocktails, along with local entertainment special guests
- Cocktails available on the Sky Deck
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
Health and Fitness
- Canoe, kayak and jogging excursions
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Fitness and wellness activities
- All through your Avalon Adventure Host
Suites & Staterooms
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane bath products
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Flatscreen satellite TV with free movie channels
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- USB Ports
- And, much more
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises.
Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.