Begin this timeless European river cruise vacation in vibrant Budapest, Hungary, sail along the Danube River with exciting stops in Austria and Germany, and conclude in historic Nuremberg, Germany.
As you leave Budapest, you’ll sail past the splendid Parliament Building and, along the Danube River, you’ll see Hungary on your left and Slovakia on your right as a 58-mile stretch of the river runs between both countries. Enjoy an amazing view of the landscapes of Bratislava while sailing. Vienna, Austria, offers stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Habsburg Palace, the Vienna Opera House, and much more. In the heart of the Wachau Valley wine region is Dürnstein, a 16th-century town with charming cobblestone streets and the baroque Stiftskirche with its luminous blue façade.
In Melk, visit Austria’s majestic Benedictine Abbey, one of Europe’s largest monasteries, and enjoy a tasting of some of the Wachau Valley’s famous wines. Join in a guided walk through Passau, with its narrow streets, beautiful Patrician houses, and baroque architecture. Sail further up the Danube River to discover the medieval walls of Regensburg—the only German city not bombed during WWII. Here, you can become acquainted with some of Germany’s famous beers!
The last stop on this memorable river cruise vacation is the thousand-year-old city of Nuremberg. During guided sightseeing, marvel at the medieval fortifications, extraordinary Gothic churches, and the Imperial Castle. Take free time to make a wish at the striking fountain on the Hauptmarkt (Main Square)—a perfect ending to a memorable Danube River cruise vacation!
- Airfare to Budapest and return from Nuremberg
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon Cruises
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Dec 31: FREE Airfare and save up to $900 per cabin! (price reflects discounts)
|July 31, Oct 23 or Nov 17, 2024||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$325|
|Pre Paid Gratuity add $163 per person|
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Other dates are available. Please call to inquire!
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Day 1 Budapest (Embarkation):
Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Vienna:
Scenic sailing, pass through Bratislava; free time in Vienna in the evening
Day 3 Vienna:
Choice of guided sightseeing or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 4 Dürnstein-Wachau Valley-Melk:
In Dürnstein choice of guided tour or a hike up to the castle ruins with your Adventure Host; scenic cruise through the Wachau Valley; choice of guided tour of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk or walk with your Adventure Host; onboard wine tasting
Day 5 Passau:
Day 6 Regensburg:
Choice of guided walk, see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 7 Roth. Excursion to Nuremberg:
Onboard lecture; choice of guided sightseeing in Roth, or hike with your Adventure Host or guided tour in Nuremberg, or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour
Day 8 Nuremberg (Disembarkation):
Your cruise ends this morning
Day 1 BUDAPEST (EMBARKATION – D)
Welcome to Hungary. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Flights into Budapest must arrive by 2 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
The day is yours to relax and enjoy the city with time for photographs, cafés, and confections.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO VIENNA
Day 2 VIENNA, AUSTRIA (B, L, D)
Viennese Waltzes on the Beautiful Blue Danube
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
Enjoy sailing the Danube, which shares dozens of miles with Hungary and Slovakia. Relax on the Sky Deck to see the rolling landscape and red-rooftops of the Slovakian capital of Bratislava come into view. This evening in Vienna, you may choose to join an Optional Excursion to attend a Royal Waltz Concert for an unforgettable evening of music in an elegant hall.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN VIENNA
Day 3 VIENNA (B, L, D)
Royal Collections and Amusing Attractions
ACTIVE Explore Vienna’s Danube Island by bike with your Adventure Host, OR;
CLASSIC Explore the Habsburg empire this morning on a Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Join a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace— summer home of the Habsburg Empire.
Enjoy free time this afternoon to take a tram to visit Vienna’s Prater amusement park or one of the many museums nearby. You may also borrow a bike from the ship to explore Vienna’s square or the banks of the Danube. Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO DÜRNSTEIN
Day 4 DÜRNSTEIN (B, L, D)
A King’s Ransom and Castle Ruins
ACTIVE Join a Hike up to the castle ruins with your Adventure Host for a spectacular view of the village, Danube, and the Wachau Valley below, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walk, and hear the legendary tale of King Richard the Lionheart—who was imprisoned in the castle above the village during the Crusades. Enjoy coffee or a cocktail on the Sky Deck as you sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley to Melk.
Frescoes Above and Vineyards Below
ACTIVE Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Hike through Melk’s beautiful countryside, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey to marvel at its frescoed ceilings, statues, incredible library, and ornate pipe organ.
DISCOVERY Enjoy the flavors of the Wachau Valley with a Wine Tasting on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO PASSAU
Day 5 PASSAU, GERMANY (B, L, D)
Where the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers Meet
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.”
Alternatively, join a full-day Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg—the city of Mozart—or to the picturesque Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov. Meet your ship back in Passau after your full-day selected activity for sailing.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO REGENSBURG
Day 6 REGENSBURG (B, L, D)
Bavaria’s Medieval Miracle Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Explore Walhalla by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided City Walk and see Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria—built in 179 AD as the entrance to Castra Regina fortress.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the Benedictine Monastery in Weltenburg.
Alternatively spend a free afternoon exploring Regensburg on foot or by bike through its charming streets.
This evening, enjoy live entertainment after dinner as you cruise toward Roth.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTH
Day 7 ROTH. EXCURSION TO NUREMBERG (B, L, D)
Legends and History Lessons
DISCOVERY Enjoy an Onboard Lecture about the Main-Danube Canal—linking these two rivers to make a vital connection enabling navigation between the North and Black Seas.
ACTIVE Explore Roth’s Lauter valley with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Enjoy a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the Bavarian town of Roth—with its half-timbered houses, market square, and 1535 hunting lodge Schloss Ratibor, OR:
CLASSIC Choose a Guided Sightseeing of Nuremberg—with its medieval architecture, gilded fountain, Gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds—used by the Third Reich.
EVENING CRUISE TO NUREMBERG
Day 8 NUREMBERG (DISEMBARKATION – B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
- In the event of technical or water level issues, it may be necessary to operate the itinerary by motorcoach or alter the program, including hotel overnight when necessary.
- Guided Tours, Optional Excursions, activities, sailing and docking schedules may be contingent on weather conditions or other issues outside of our control and could therefore be subject to change at any time.
- Please check visa requirements with your local consulate(s); responsibility for obtaining visas rests with the traveler.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.