This springtime river cruise gets underway in Holland’s colorful capital of Amsterdam. This 700-year-old city offers an abundance of classic architecture, cafés, and restaurants to explore before you embark on your river cruise through Holland and Belgium. Sail through Rotterdam’s harbor, said to be the world’s busiest port. Garden enthusiasts will delight in a visit to see the breathtaking colors of Keukenhof, also known as the “Garden of Europe.” With 70 acres of parkland and lakes, it’s one of the world’s largest flower gardens with nearly 7 million flowering bulbs bursting with color. Next, sail to Antwerp, Belgium’s second-largest city, known for its centuries-old history in diamond trading amid ancient buildings and monuments combined with modern architecture. In Ghent, Belgium, join a local expert for a guided tour of the city, including a visit to St. Baaf’s Cathedral.
Your cruise traverses back into Holland where you’ll explore Middelburg, formerly an important trading city. You’ll still get a sense of its historic wealth today with its impressive structures like the Gothic Town Hall, Abbey Tower, and bustling Market Square. Alternatively visit the fascinating Flood Museum to hear and see the stories of the flood of 1953. This beautiful and historic springtime river cruise concludes with more time to explore the wonderful city of Amsterdam. See the most fascinating views of the city on a canal cruise along the elegant grachten lined with homes dating back to the city’s “Golden Age.”
- Roundtrip airfare to Amsterdam
- 7 night river cruise aboard Avalon Cruises
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Book by Oct 31: FREE Airfare and Exclusive $200 savings per cabin! (price reflects discounts)
|March 31, 2024||Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto|
|Taxes & Fees||$303|
|Prepaid gratuity add $163 per person|
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Other dates are available. Please call to inquire!
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Day 1 Amsterdam (Embarkation):
Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Rotterdam:
Choice of half- or full-day visit to Keukenhof Gardens or walk with your Adventure Host; harbor cruise in Rotterdam
Day 3 Antwerp:
Choice of guided sightseeing or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 4 Ghent:
Choice of guided sightseeing, visit St. Baaf’s Cathedral or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 5 Middelburg-Veere:
Choice of guided walk in Middelburg or bike with your Adventure Host; choice of visit of the Flood Museum and guided walking tour of Veere or bike with your Adventure Host
Day 6 Willemstad:
Choice of guided walking tour or bike with your Adventure Host; cheese tasting on board
Day 7 Amsterdam:
Choice of guided visit to Flower Auction, or canal cruise or walk with your Adventure Host
Day 8 Amsterdam (Disembarkation):
Your cruise ends this morning
Welcome to Holland. Your Suite Ship® is Ready for Boarding.
Day 2 ROTTERDAM (B/L/D)
Dutch Treats and Flowers Sweet
Visit the Adventure Center for today’s activities with your Adventure Host.
ACTIVE Experience Rotterdam by foot with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a full- or half-day Guided Tour of breathtaking Keukenhof—known as the “Garden of Europe”—for its 70 acres of lush parkland, lakes, and the world’s largest flower gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths as well as other bulbs, planted each year.
Take some free time to relax on the harbor-side in Rotterdam with an artisan beer, a slice of appeltaart (Dutch apple pie), and a koffie verkeerd, a typical Dutch drink with equal parts coffee and milk. Take a bike from your ship to explore Rotterdam and the surrounding area.
Before dinner, enjoy a cruise through Rotterdam harbor.
Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ANTWERP
Day 3 ANTWERP, BELGIUM (B/L/D)
Cathedrals, Carats and Crêpes
ACTIVE Explore Antwerp by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Take a Guided Tour of this sophisticated city to visit the central Grote Markt, lined with 16th-century guildhall houses. You’ll also see the beautiful city hall, the Cathedral of Our Lady with its stunning altarpiece paintings by Rubens.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the nearby capital, Brussels—considered home to the European Union, and admire its magnificent palaces and cathedrals.
Alternatively, you might prefer to take time on your own to indulge in Antwerp’s signature Belgian waffles and crêpes—or explore this bike-friendly city from its old wharfs to its legendary diamond district.
Later, enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO GHENT
A Spicy History in Middelburg’s Dutch Harbor Town
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
ACTIVE Explore Middelburg by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walking Tour through the winding cobblestones and canals of Middelburg. See the 15th-century Gothic Town Hall and learn about its important role in the spice trade and Dutch East India trading.
Spend some free time biking or walking through Middelburg to sample Babbelaar cookies, fries, or beer before cruising to Veere.
The Delta Works Stand Strong as a Technical Marvel
ACTIVE Bike your way to the beach from Veere with your Adventure Host, OR:
DISCOVERY Visit the fascinating Flood Museum to hear and see the stories of the flood of 1953, reconstruction, the Delta Works, and flood risk management – told by the people who have experienced it. Later, explore the town of Veere.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO WILLEMSTAD
Day 6 WILLEMSTAD (B/L/D)
Willemstad’s Windmills and Historic Harbor
ACTIVE See Willemstad by bike with your Adventure Host, OR:
CLASSIC Join a Guided Walking Tour of Willemstad and discover its many beautifully restored buildings from the 17th and 18th Century.
DISCOVERY Later, enjoy a Cheese Tasting on board as you prepare to sail to Amsterdam.
AFTERNOON/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AMSTERDAM
Day 7 AMSTERDAM (B/L/D)
Canals of Colorful Amsterdam
ACTIVE Start your day joining your Adventure Host on an early morning walk in Amsterdam, OR:
DISCOVERY Discover Aalsmeer Flower Auction—the largest in the world, where around 20 million flowers are sold every day. Later enjoy a typical Dutch breakfast, OR:
CLASSIC Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.”
This afternoon choose among the many Guided Optional Excursions available.
Take some free time to explore Amsterdam’s colorful streets and canal houses, galleries, and shops.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Day 8 AMSTERDAM (DISEMBARKATION) (B)
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.