From walking the cobblestone streets of a former Roman colony to tasting a decadent ‘Pasteis de Nata’ tart made from a 200-year-old secret recipe, this 9-day guided tour allows you to embrace the best of old-world Spain and Portugal. Listen as metal sizzles in a master artisan’s hands as he teaches you the craft of Damascene. In Granada, wander the fragrant and arabesque gardens of the Alhambra Palace. Learn the art of flamenco dancing, stomping your feet to the sounds of an acoustic guitar, in a private lesson with professionals in Seville. Then, cross the Portuguese border to scale a 16th-century fortress in Lisbon and visit Fátima, Portugal’s most holy site. Finally, raise a glass and say ¡salud! to these ancient wonders during a celebration feast in Madrid.
- 8 night luxury guided vacation
- 11 meals: 8 breakfasts, 3 dinners with wine
- Airport transfers
- Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless and look after all the details along the way
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- All taxes and porterage charges at hotels included
- Stay connected with complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
|Mar 23,30, 2024||from $3139 including tax|
|Apr 6-Aug 31, 2024||from $3699 including tax|
|Sep 21-Oct 26, 2024||from $4129 including tax|
|Based on Double or Single Share|
|Single Room Supplement||add from $460 more|
|Pre-Pay Gratuities (Tour Director & Driver)||add $183 per person|
Roundtrip airfare to Madrid additional, but can be added if available!
*Please Note: Not all dates listed are definite departures. A minimum number of passengers on each date are needed to run. Once the minimum is reached it will switch to a definite departure. In the event your date does not, you will be offered the best alternative dates or a full refund of any payment made.
- Seville: Discover Flamenco at the Cristina Heeren Foundation
- Toledo: At a Damascene workshop, meet a master craftsman for a personal insight into this ancient craft.
- Granada: Visit the famous Alhambra Palace and Generalife Gardens. While others wait in line, you’ll be exploring accompanied by a Local Expert, keen to share insights into this Moorish landmark.
TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
- Toledo City Tour: Explore this magnificent ancient city with your Local Expert and visit the Church of Santo Tome; to see an El Greco’s masterpiece.
- Granada: Explore ‘The City of the Pomegranate’ with a Local Expert. During sightseeing you’ll see the icons dedicated to this fruit throughout the city.
- Seville: Visit the Seville Cathedral with your Local Expert. Pass the altarpiece dripping with gold and see the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Seville: Stroll through The Old Jewish Quarter of Barrio de Santa Cruz with your Local Expert to hear how the Jewish community has shaped the history of Seville or Explore Seville’s top sights on a panoramic city tour with your Local Expert.
- Evora: With your Travel Director explore the ancient city of Evora and visit the fascinating Capela dos Ossos, meaning the Chapel of Bones, a chapel decorated with human remains.
- Lisbon: Explore with your Local Expert, from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. Visit the Belém Quarter to see the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belém Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit Jerónimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions or see the basilica.
- Salamanca: See the golden stone buildings and handsome arcades of Plaza Mayor for which this city is famous for.
- Ávila: Walk within the ancient walls of this unique town.
- Madrid: See the highlights of the city with your Local Expert. Visit the Old Town, traveling along the elegant Paseo de la Castellana, past the fountain in the Plaza de Cibeles, the Cervantes Monument and Royal Palace, before crossing the Puerta del Sol.
- Madrid: Enjoy a welcome Dinner in a local restaurant and get to know your fellow travelers over a beautiful evening of delicious food and wine.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pastéis de Belém.
- Madrid: Spanish Celebration Dinner, With good food and wine, toast the culmination of your travels during a fabulous Celebration Dinner.
Day 1: Welcome to Madrid (D)
Your airport transfer departs Madrid airport for your hotel at 09:00, 11:30, 13:30 or 16:00. The rest of the day is at leisure to begin to get to know this stylish city. While in Madrid, explore the elegant boulevards, expansive parks and varied architectural styles. At 18:30, join your Travel Director for your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant and enjoy the opportunity to get to know your fellow travelers over a delightful evening of good food and wine. Included Meal: Dinner with Wine Hotel: Riu Plaza De Espana (or similar)
Day 2: The old Capital of Toledo and on to Granada (B/D)
Venture south to meet a master craftsperson in a Damascene workshop for a personal insight into this ancient craft handed down by the Moors centuries ago. Continue to the fascinating city of Toledo, situated high above the River Tagus. This was Spain’s capital during the golden era, where Arab, Jewish and Christian cultures flourished side-by-side through the Middle Ages. Walk within the city walls, through the narrow cobbled streets, led by your Local Expert. Visit the Church of Santo Tomé, housing El Greco’s famous painting, ‘The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.’ Your journey continues to Granada. Included Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Hotel: Vincci Albayzín, Granada (or similar)
Day 3: The Alhambra Palace and Seville, City of Carmen (B)
‘Give him alms, woman, because there is nothing sadder in life than being blind in Granada’, proclaims the inscription on the walls of the Alhambra. Bathed in the morning light, the Alhambra Palace awaits—a fantasy of arabesque gardens, fountains and stone cut like lace. Explore with your Local Expert before visiting the exotic water gardens of the Generalife, the summer residence of the Spanish royals. Take a moment to relax in the sunshine as you enjoy the fine views over the town and its three verdant hills before continuing on to Seville. Visit the Seville Cathedral, the burial place of Christopher Columbus. Explore the city with Insight Choice. Choose to embark on a walk through the old Jewish quarter. Alternatively, enjoy a drive with panoramic views. Meals: Breakfast Hotel: Ayre Hotel Sevilla (or similar)
Day 4: Seville: Free Time & Flamenco (B)
This day is yours to completely relax or continue exploring this fascinating city. Perhaps join an Optional Experience to Córdoba and visit the magnificent Mezquita, an 8th century mosque with a Christian cathedral built inside it? Visit the Cristina Heeren Foundation, a beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant, for a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience. This private dance school is dedicated to promoting the conservation of flamenco and supports young enthusiasts from all over the world with a special focus on new talent from the Andalusian region. Feel the passion behind the choreography as you put your rhythm to the test during a dance lesson before witnessing emotions come to life in a flamenco performance. With some free time for dinner, wander the restaurants in Triana or try the local night market Lonja Del Barranco selling tapas made from fresh, local produce. Why not grab yourself a refreshing sangria for a cheers to your new found dancing feet? Included Meal: Breakfast Hotel: Ayre Hotel Sevilla (or similar)
Day 5: Évora and onto Lisbon (B)
Continue to the lively university town of Évora, one of the best preserved towns in Portugal, with architectural styles dating back to Roman Times. Visit the fascinating Capela dos Ossos, a chapel decorated with 5000 bones, before making your way to Lisbon. Included Meal: Breakfast Hotel: Turim Saldanha Hotel (or similar)
Day 6: Lisbon and the Age of the Discoveries (B)
During your stay, a guided orientation of the city with your Local Expert takes you along the avenues of the Lower Town and beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city. Visit the Belém Quarter and enjoy a taste of Pastéis de Belém from the patisserie that has been using the same, secret recipe for almost 200 years. View the Monument to the Discoveries and the historic Belém Tower. This fortress was originally set in the middle of the river, but is now left high and dry on the riverbank. Visit the 500-year-old Jerónimos Church with its beautiful Manueline architecture, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With the afternoon at your leisure, perhaps join an Optional Experience to the beautiful Portuguese Riviera? Included Meal: Breakfast Hotel: Turim Saldanha Hotel (or similar)
Day 7: Holy Fátima and Golden Salamanca (B)
Travel into the green hills north of Lisbon to visit Fátima, the most celebrated place of pilgrimage in Portugal. Visit the Basilica commemorating the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three children in 1917. Cross the border, returning to Spain and continue to Salamanca, famous for its golden stone buildings and the handsome arcades of the Plaza Mayor. Across the River Tormes, see the Puente Romano with 15 of its 26 arches dating from the time of the ancient Romans. Included Meals: Breakfast Hotel: Alameda Palace, Salamanca (or similar)
Day 8: Ávila and on to Madrid (B/D)
Cross the rock-strewn hills of the Castile, to arrive at Ávila. Walk within the ancient city, still entirely enclosed within 11th century walls, a unique occurrence in Europe. Return to Madrid to explore more of the capital with your Local Expert. At a local restaurant, join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a lively Celebration Dinner. Included Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine Hotel: Melia Madrid Serrano (or similar)
Day 9: Farewell Madrid (B)
After breakfast, transfers arrive at Madrid airport at 07:00, 09:00 and 11:00. Included Meal: Breakfast