Explore Holland and Belgium in more ways than ever on this Active & Discovery European cruise. Begin in Amsterdam and sail for Middelburg for a variety of excursions from Classic to Active to Discovery included excursions. Continue to Belgium and marvel at the artistry and natural beauty of the region. In Brussels, walk the ancient streets and sample treats at a Belgian chocolate-making workshop. Explore by bike or take a guided tour! In Antwerp, discover centuries of history. Experience the Red Star Line Museum where brave emigrants boarded ocean liners for America long ago, or see the stunning altarpiece by master painter Rubens in the cathedral there. Take an architecture tour by bicycle through Rotterdam or create a classic Delft tile in a pottery workshop.
Return to Amsterdam to enjoy the colorful city of canals. Take a painting class, ride a bike through the Dutch countryside, or relax on a canal cruise through this city of a Golden Age. A fantastic 8-day adventure through Holland and Belgium on this Active & Discovery River Cruise in Europe!
- Roundtrip airfare to Amsterdam
- 7 night deluxe cruise aboard Avalon River Cruises
- Meals on board: Complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast; wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner are included daily on board your vessel.
- Special onboard and onshore experiences presented by entertainers, artisans, and experts, designed to enrich your cruise.
- Avalon Choice with your preference of Classic, Active, or Discovery included excursions and sightseeing with Certified Local Guides; and MyAvalon Guided Optional Excursions
- A storyteller cruise hosted by author Jen Hatmaker!
- Book by Mar 2: Reduced air and save $1200 per cabin! (price reflects discount)
|August 2, 2024
|Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Montreal, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Toronto
|Taxes & Fees
|Prepaid Gratuities add $163 per person
Other gateway cities available from $100 to $300 per person additional (inclusive of taxes/fees).
Other dates are available. Please call to inquire!
Promotion can be withdrawn at anytime without notice.
Day 1 Amsterdam (Embarkation): Onboard welcome reception
Day 2 Middelburg: Choice of nature walk, or Middelburg walking tour, or visit to an Oyster Farm
Day 3 Ghent: Choice of biking tour, or guided sightseeing, or Graffiti tour
Day 4 Brussels: Choice of chocolate workshop, or biking tour, or Brussels guided tour
Day 5 Antwerp: Choice of biking tour, or visit the Red Star Line museum, or Antwerp guided tour
Day 6 Rotterdam: Choice of architectural biking tour, or ceramic painting workshop, or Rotterdam guided tour; Rotterdam harbor cruise
Day 7 Amsterdam: Choice of painting class, or guided kayak tour, or canal cruise
Day 8 Amsterdam (Disembarkation):Your cruise ends this morning
AMSTERDAM, HOLLAND (D)
How Suite It Is! Welcome Aboard Your Avalon Suite Ship®.
Flights into Amsterdam must arrive by 3:30 pm.
Guests must be on board ship by 5 pm.
During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year.
Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO MIDDELBURG
MIDDELBURG (B, L, D)
A Castle Moat, an Oyster Farm and Dutch Sea Trade.
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
Active: Take a Guided Walk through woods and dunes; see Castle Westhove and farmlands of the beautiful North-Sea area, OR:
Discovery: Enjoy a Guided Visit to a family owned Oyster Farm, active in the cultivation of crustaceans and shellfish in the Netherlands since 1906. A taste of oysters and lobster, accompanied with a glass of wine is the perfect ending of this beautiful experience, OR:
Classic: Walking Tour through the winding cobblestones and canals of Middelburg. See the 15th-century Gothic Town Hall and learn about its important role in the spice trade and Dutch East India trading.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO GHENT
GHENT, BELGIUM (B, L, D)
Flemish Artwork and Street Artists
Active: Explore the outskirts of the city and the lesser known sights on a Guided Bike Tour, OR:
Discovery: Join a Guided Tour of Graffiti Street, where artists create striking spray-can art to their heart’s content. And do not miss the chance to become an artist yourself, creating your street art, OR:
Classic: Explore Ghent—“The Diamond of Flanders”— with a Guided Sightseeing Tour of this showcase of medieval Flemish wealth. You’ll visit St. Bavo’s Cathedral—with its remarkable Flemish artwork.
Alternatively, you may choose to join a full-day Guided Optional Excursion of Bruges to explore its canals, cobbled streets, and medieval buildings.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO BRUSSELS
BRUSSELS (B, L, D)
Ancient Streets, and Chocolate Sweet
Active: Take a bike tour to explore the beauty near Brussels, including the Belgian town of Laken, home to the Royal family estates, exotic pavilions from the world expo, and beautiful parks and lanes, OR:
Discovery; Join a Belgian chocolate-making Workshop to learn how to create your own delicious candies. Enjoy a cup of the finest hot chocolate, while crafting traditional confections of pralines and mendiant from scratch, OR:
Classic: Join a Guided Tour of Brussels, see the Town Hall with its landmark buildings, discover the many local bars, cafés, and shops of the Lower Town Streets, and visit the Atomium.
The afternoon is free to explore Brussels —considered home to the European Union, and admire its magnificent palaces and cathedrals. Alternatively, enjoy one of the Optional Excursions on offer.
Later enjoy live entertainment onboard.
OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ANTWERP
ANTWERP (B, L, D)
Bike Riding, Brave New Worlds, and Rubens’ Art
Join your Adventure Host for today’s special activities.
Active: Enjoy a Bike Tour and discover centuries of history and a story around every corner. Don’t miss out the unique atmosphere of small neighborhoods and squares, OR:
Discovery: Join a Guided Tour of the Red Star Line Museum. Follow the footsteps of the emigrants, become acquainted with the Red Star Line passengers and accompany them on their trip from their native village via Antwerp to the new world, OR:
Classic: Take a Guided Tour of this sophisticated city to visit the central Grote Markt, lined with 16th-century guildhall houses. You’ll also see the beautiful city hall, the Cathedral of Our Lady with its stunning altarpiece paintings by Rubens.
This afternoon take time on your own to indulge in Antwerp’s signature Belgian waffles and crêpes—or explore this bike-friendly city from its old wharfs to its legendary diamond district. You might consider partaking one of the Optional Excursion available.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO ROTTERDAM
ROTTERDAM, HOLLAND (B, L, D)
Avant-garde Architecture and Art Lessons
Active: Take a unique Architecture Bike Tour to see the architectural highlights of Rotterdam. Do not miss the interesting Cube Houses, the popular Market Hall, the spectacular Erasmus Bridge, the vertical city ‘De Rotterdam’, and the iconic Central Station. In the city centre, admire how historic buildings lash cheerfully with hypermodern skyscrapers.OR:
Discovery: Attend a Pottery Workshop. In a characteristic painter’s room, a professional painter will guide you through the process of painting a Delft tile,OR:
Classic: Join a Guided Sightseeing Tour of Rotterdam featuring unusual collection of cube houses innovative architecture, including the marvelous Erasmus Bridge, and plenty of other fascinating sites.
Before dinner, enjoy a cruise through Rotterdam harbor.
In the evening, enjoy live entertainment on board.
EVENING/OVERNIGHT CRUISE TO AMSTERDAM
AMSTERDAM (B, L, D)
Colorful Canals of Amsterdam
Active: Join a Guided Kayak Tour which provides a unique perspective of Amsterdam from the waters of its magnificent canals, OR:
Discovery: Attend a Painting Class and be inspired by the masters’ techniques. Paint your own canvas and discover your inner artist, OR:
Classic: Enjoy a Guided Canal Cruise to explore the iconic waterways and sites of Amsterdam.
This afternoon, choose among the many Guided Optional Excursions available or take some free time to explore Amsterdam’s colorful streets and canal houses, galleries, and shops.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN AMSTERDAM
Your cruise ends with breakfast this morning
Included for Every Avalon Guests
You’ve always forged your own path… with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind – offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That’s why we’ve designed a cruise experience that’s just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you’ll experience on board our Avalon ships. See the Ship Amenities section below for more information about the amenities in our fleet’s unique ships.
Throughout the Ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Panoramic windows
- Elegant, contemporary design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Sky Deck with whirlpool, shade awnings, game area and premium lounges
- Covered Observation Lounge
- Club Lounge with 24-hour self-serve beverage station with complimentary cappuccinos, lattes, tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, as well as treats throughout the day
- Chef-prepared onboard meals with regional cuisine and familiar favorites
- Seasonal cuisine featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Avalon Fresh® healthy cuisine options at every meal
- Spacious, open-seating Panorama Dining Room
- Daily breakfast buffet with full range of classic breakfast items, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and daily a la carte specials
- Complimentary room service for Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Daily lunch buffet featuring regional specialties, classic dishes, healthy Avalon Fresh® options and rotating chef’s features including carving & pasta stations. Alternatively, you may dine al fresco at our Sky Grill on the Sky Deck (weather and itinerary permitting) or enjoy a light lunch in the Panorama Lounge.
- Afternoon Tea featuring tea, coffee, and sweet treats
- Four-course dinners with choice of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées and desserts or cheese
- Linger over several selections from the Panorama Bistro’s tasting menu for a less formal “sit-down” atmosphere
- Complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Avalon FlexDining® flexible dining times with menu & venue options
- Vegetarian options at every meal, as well as vegan, low calorie, low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol, high energy and allergy-free selections
- Panorama Lounge & Bar with premium spirits, cozy seating, panoramic windows & dance floor
- Welcome & farewell cocktails with sparkling wine & canapés
- New in 2023 – included Happy Hour every evening featuring house beer, wine, cocktails and a drink of the day
- Cocktails with a view on the Sky Deck
- Specialty coffees, espresso drinks and beWell Essence flavored and infused water available throughout each day
Health and Fitness
- Maps for hiking, biking and jogging routes
- Canoe and kayak excursions
- Walking Sticks
- Yoga Mats
- Fitness bands
Suites & Staterooms
- Open–Air BalconiesSM and Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows in all Panorama SuitesSM
- Comfort Collection BedsSM with choice of mattress firmness
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Premium L’Occitane® bath products & hairdryer
- Large bathroom featuring shower with glass door
- Wide selection of free movie channels and English-speaking TV
- Individual climate control and in-room safe
- Full-size closet and mirror
- Additional under-bed storage
- Well-stocked mini-bar
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises. Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
CLASSIC Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
DISCOVERY We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
ACTIVE Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.