This vacation shows you all of Portugal at a relaxed pace, thanks to the well-planned two-night stopovers in Lisbon, Oporto, and the Algarve, and overnights also in Tomar, Viseu, and Evora.
- 10 night first class guided vacation
- 10 nights in First Class or Moderate First-Class accommodation as per itinerary
- Meals: 10 Full buffet breakfast daily; 5 three-course dinners with wine, including a dinner at a local restaurant in Viseu
- Round trip transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to airport
|September 2-October 7, 2021
May 12-October 6, 2022
|from $2799 tax included|
|Single Room Supplement||add $726|
(Tour Director & Driver)
|add $137 per person|
Select dates are small group discoveries with max 24 passengers, if you prefer this option please let you reservation agent know to look for those dates.
Note: Globus requires passport and emergency contact information with final payment.
- LISBON – Welcome dinner; guided sightseeing, visit the Alfama quarter and Jeronimos Monastery; [LF] enjoy a cocktail and farewell dinner
- OBIDOS – Walking tour of the medieval town
- NAZARÉ – Stop in the fishing harbor town
- ALCOBAÇA – Visit the Church of Santa Maria Monastery
- FÁTIMA – Visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary
- TOMAR – Visit the Convent of Christ
- COIMBRA – Visit the University
- PORTO – Guided sightseeing, visit the Church of Sao Francisco and the Arabian Hall in the Stock Exchange; [LF] wine tasting at Sandeman & Co.
- GUIMARAES – Walk through the medieval center
- QUINTA DA AVELEDA – enjoy Portuguese tapas with wine and explore its splendid gardens
- VISEU – Dinner at a local restaurant
- BELMONTE – Visit the Jewish Museum; olive oil tasting
- CASTELO DE VIDE – Walk through the Jewish quarter
- EVORA – visit a Cork Factory, guided walking tour, visit the gothic cathedral, the Sao Francisco Church, and the Ossuary Chapel
- ALGARVE – Excursion to the Promontory of Sagres, Cape St. Vincent, and Lagos
- AZEITÃO – Visit a tile workshop
Four Ways Globus Eliminates the Hassles
VIP Access – Skip the lines and get special treatment at the must-see attractions.
Perfect Hotels – We’ve done the work to find just the right hotels in just the right locations.
Tour Directors – Take your heads out of the guidebook and let expert guides make every destination fascinating.
Transportation – Leave the navigating to us – and just sit back and enjoy the ride.
2021 Itinerary (subject to change)
Inside visits and special features are shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description, including admission charges where applicable.
|Day 1 ARRIVE IN LISBON, PORTUGAL
Welcome to Lisbon! At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions for a welcome dinner at your hotel.
|Day 2 LISBON
Lisbon was the center of Europe’s longest-lived overseas empire. Portugal’s imperial ambitions date back to Prince Henry the Navigator’s 15th-century discoveries in West Africa. Morning sightseeing with a Local Guide features a drive through the Baixa quarter’s main squares and a walk along the cobblestone alleys of quaint ALFAMA, the popular quarter of seamen and Fado singers. Drive along the grand Avenida da Liberdade up to Pombal Square, and stop for pictures of Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries. Also visit JERONIMOS MONASTERY with the tomb of Vasco da Gama. An optional excursion is available to the royal palace of Queluz, as well as dinner at a typical taverna with Fado-style entertainment.
|Day 3 LISBON–OBIDOS–NAZARÉ–ALCOBAÇA–FÁTIMA–TOMAR
Stop in medieval Obidos and go back in time as you pass the main gate in the impressive perimeter wall and walk along the narrow streets. Then onto the fishing harbor of Nazaré, the perfect place for a leisurely break. Continue to Alcobaça to visit the CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA MONASTERY, built in the 12th century for 999 Cistercian monks. See the elaborate tombs of King Pedro I and his Castilian lover, Inês de Castro. In the afternoon, mix with the pilgrims at the country’s hallowed national shrine, Fátima’s SANCTUARY OF OUR LADY OF THE HOLY ROSARY. Overnight in Tomar, former seat of the mighty Order of the Knights Templar.
|Day 4 TOMAR–COIMBRA–PORTO
Visit the hilltop CONVENT OF CHRIST, which was constructed in the late 12th century and became the headquarters of the Order in Portugal. Hear about the fascinating history and admire its famous Manueline Window. Continue to Coimbra, strategically situated on a hill overlooking the Mondego River. After a visit to the 700-year-old UNIVERSITY, drive by ancient Buçaco Forest on your way to Porto, Portugal’s second-largest city. Tonight, why not join an optional cruise on the Douro River, followed by dinner at one of Porto’s fine restaurants?
|Day 5 PORTO
Sightseeing with a Local Guide includes a panoramic drive to the mouth of the Douro River, the soaring cathedral, the richly decorated CHURCH OF SÃO FRANCISCO, the most important gothic monument in Porto and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also visit the STOCK EXCHANGE with its contemporary ARABIAN HALL, inspired by Granada’s Alhambra. Of course, a PORT WINE TASTING has been included at the famous Sandeman & Co. Port Wine Cellar to sample the delicious wine produced from grapes of the Douro Valley.
|Day 6 PORTO–GUIMARAES–VISEU
In Guimaraes, often referred to as the “Cradle of Portugal” because of its association with the country’s first king, Alfonso Henriques, follow your Tour Director for a pleasant walk through the medieval center. Next, taste Portuguese tapas at the Quinta da Aveleda WINERY and visit its splendid GARDENS. From here, a scenic road through the port wine vineyards leads to Viseu, where dinner with local specialties and wine awaits at Forno da Mimi restaurant.
|Day 7 VISEU–BELMONTE–CASTELO DE VIDE–EVORA
This morning, stop in Belmonte, for a visit of the JEWISH MUSEUM. Also enjoy an OLIVE OIL TASTING, for which the area is famous. Take an afternoon break in lovely Castelo de Vide, one of the best-preserved medieval fortified towns in Portugal. The Jewish quarter with its white-washed houses and its medieval synagogue are worth seeing. Before arriving in Evora, the cultural center of southern Portugal, visit a CORK FACTORY and learn about the many ways this material can be used.
|Day 8 EVORA–ALGARVE
A massive wall surrounds Evora’s medieval center, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Follow your Local Guide on a walking tour through its narrow alleys to the Roman Temple, the early gothic CATHEDRAL, Portas de Moura fountain, and SãO FRANCISCO CHURCH. Visit the OSSUARY CHAPEL, whose walls are covered with thousands of human bones and skulls. Next, proceed across the arid Alentejo plain to the Algarve, Portugal’s most popular seaside area. Tonight, why not try one of the seafood restaurants for which the Algarve is famous?
|Day 9 ALGARVE. COASTAL EXCURSION
Highlight today is a visit to the wind-swept PROMONTORY OF SAGRES, where Henry the Navigator lived and planned his overseas expansion. Only a few miles away is Cape St. Vincent, the southwestern corner of continental Europe, a dramatic cliff defying the powerful waves of the Atlantic Ocean. Time to wander around Lagos before returning to your hotel.
|Day 10 ALGARVE–AZEITÃO–LISBON
Take the scenic route over the Serra da Arrábida and savor sweeping views of the Tróia Peninsula. Catch glimpses of the castle at Sesimbra, which recall fierce medieval battles between Christians and Moors. Stop in Azeitão to visit a traditional TILE WORKSHOP. After crossing the Bridge of April 25th, you’re back in Lisbon. Tonight, enjoy a spectacular panoramic view at Varanda restaurant while having a cocktail and a farewell dinner with your traveling companions.
|Day 11 LISBON
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan
All 2021 travel bookings automatically come with our 2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan*—free of charge. This plan gives guests the ability to move their booking to another destination, vacation, brand or simply a different 2021 or 2022 departure date in our vast travel portfolio, no questions asked. They just need to let us know before final payment (60 days prior to departure) and we’ll waive all land or cruise penalties and get you booked on new vacation.
* The 2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan allows for any 2021 booking made on Avalon Waterways, Cosmos, Globus or Monograms to be changed to a different brand, destination or to another 2021 or 2022 departure date. Notice of change in travel plans must be given before final payment; standard cancellation penalties will apply for full cancellation without rebooking or changes made after final payment. The penalty waiver applies to the land or cruise portion of the booking only; airfares and vacations booked air-inclusive may be subject to penalties and/or change fees from the airline*. Applicable price and eligible promotions for the new tour or cruise will apply; if new trip is less expensive, a future travel credit will be issued for the difference in price. Cannot be applied to charters, custom tours or TBA space. No cash value. Credit is fully transferable. Offer reliant on space availability. May be withdrawn at any time. Additional restrictions may apply; see Travel Terms & Conditions for details. *See optional Travel Protection Plan coverage for details.