Embark on a journey to the enchanting home of the African safari, fiery savannah sunsets and the colourfully clad Maasai – an epic adventure through Kenya’s iconic wilderness.
- 8 night guided vacation
- 8 nights accommodation in hand picked hotels, lodges and safari camps (or similar)
- 22 meals: 8 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Roundtrip airport transfers
- Services of a qualified English Speaking Travel Director, Driver Guide
|September 5-December 19, 2021||from $4799|
(no single share available)
Roundtrip airfare to Nairobi additional, but can be added once available
Note: Visas are required for travel to Kenya
KENYA: Canadian passport holders can obtain an e-Visa approx. U$51pp prior to departure online at subject to change. HTTP://EVISA.GO.KE/EVISA.HTML
- VISIT Samburu National Reserve, Aberdare National Park, Lake Nakuru National Park, Maasai Mara National Game Reserve
- VIEW Thomson’s Falls in Nyahururu
- Connect With Locals – Savour the rich aroma of coffee during an exclusive Be My Guest experience with local farmers at a Kenyan coffee plantation. (Day 5)
- Dive Into Culture – Visit a Maasai village for an in-depth perspective into the daily life of this colourful tribe. (Day 8)
- Make A Difference – at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust whose Orphans’ Project will benefit from funds received from Trafalgar’s visit. (Day 2)
- Stays With Stories – Resembling Noah’s Ark, the Ark Lodge in Aberdare National Park has four viewing areas for observing the wildlife which congregate around a floodlit waterhole and salt lick. (Day 5)
Day 1 – Arrive Nairobi
Karibu! Your Kenyan safari adventure begins in the capital, Nairobi, where you will be met at the airport by a Trafalgar Representative and transferred to your hotel. Spend the evening with your fellow explorers and your Driver Guide enjoying a delicious Welcome Reception at the world-famous Carnivore restaurant.
Hotel: Tamarind Tree or similar
Day 2– Nairobi – Aberdare National Park (B/L/D)
Leave the hustle and bustle of Nairobi behind and embark on a 4 x 4 journey north to Aberdare National Park. En route you’ll ‘Connect With Locals ‘ during a ‘Be My Guest’ experience in the highlands of central Kenya. Join Elizabeth, a local farmer, for a delicious treat of freshly baked scones and coffee, made from the beans of her on site coffee plantation. You’ll have an opportunity to visit the plantation and Elizabeth’s extensive farm gardens before settling in for a hearty local lunch. Tonight you’ll stay in The Ark Lodge, one of Trafalgar’s ‘Stays With Stories’, offering spectacular opportunities to view the resident birdlife and wildlife.
Hotel: The Ark Lodge or similar
Day 3 – Aberdare National Park – Samburu National Reserve (B/L/D)
We’ll leave the lush greenery of the Kenya highlands region behind as we journey to the contrasting arid landscapes of Samburu National Reserve. As you continue your safari adventure here, you’ll hopefully have the chance to tick the ‘Samburu Special 5’ off your list as you track such species as the Grevy’s Zebra and the Reticulated Giraffe found only in the northern Kenya region. Your accommodation tonight is a luxury tented camp on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River.
Hotel: Ashnil Samburu or similar (2 nights)
Day 4– Samburu National Reserve Safari Game Drives (B/L/D)
Made famous in the award-winning book and movie Born Free, Samburu National Reserve was the home of Elsa, the famous lioness raised by conservationists George and Joy Adamson. Rise early with the birds and embark on a morning game drive through acacia forest and expansive grasslands in search of wildlife. Relax at your camp on your return then head out back out into the savannah on a late afternoon game drive.
Day 5– Samburu National Reserve – Ol Pejeta Conservancy (B/L/D)
The plight of Africa’s rhinos takes centre stage today during a poignant visit to Ol Pejeta Conservancy. This morning you’ll learn about their efforts to fight poaching in East Africa’s largest black rhino sanctuary and enjoy a quick photo stop at the point where the equator slices through the conservancy. Next up is a visit to Sweetwaters Sanctuary to meet the cheeky resident orphaned or rescued chimpanzees. Then continue to your accommodation tonight, keeping a keen eye out this evening for thirsty wildlife that come to the floodlit on site waterhole to drink after a dry day in the African wilderness.
Hotel: Sweetwaters Serena Tented Camp or similar
Day 6– Ol Pejeta Conservancy – Lake Nakuru National Park (B/L/D)
Have your camera ready for a photo stop at the spectacular Thomson’s Falls. Visit the bird watcher’s paradise that is Lake Nakuru National Park, then join your Driver Guide for an afternoon game drive to spot pink flamingos lining the lakeshore and to search for lion and leopard.
Hotel: Lake Nakuru Lodge or similar
Day 7– Lake Nakuru National Park – Maasai Mara National Reserve (B/L/D)
Your journey continues to the world-renowned Maasai Mara National Reserve, your home for the next two nights. During your time here, spend some time at your lodge’s watering hole where large pods of hippo can often be seen.
Hotel: Keekorok Lodge or similar (2 nights)
Day 8– Maasai Mara Full Day Safari Game Drive (B/L/D)
Don your hat and polish those binoculars for a full day of safari in Maasai Mara’s wilderness. When you’re not traversing the savannah in search of the Big 5, you’ll ‘Dive Into Culture’ and join a Maasai community in their local village. Watch the colourfully clad warriors demonstrate their jumping prowess, then tour the village to gain in-depth insights into their daily life. Later, indulge in a bush picnic – the sounds of the bush the perfect accompaniment while you keep your eyes peeled for the flash of resident Bee-eaters, Rollers and Hoopoes flitting from tree to tree.
Day 9– Maasai Mara National Reserve – Depart Nairobi (B)
Your Kenyan safari adventure at its end, you’ll return to Nairobi, where a day room has been reserved for you at one of Nairobi’s airport hotels prior to your evening flight home.
Day room: Sheraton or similar
* Kenya: Canadian passport holders can obtain an e-Visa approx. U$51pp prior to departure online at http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html Subject to change. Details will be attached with your invoice.
* Ground Handler: Somak Holidays
* Please Note: The full duration of this itinerary is operated by a 4×4 safari vehicle, including all road travel and safari game drives. The trip will travel over a variety of terrains, resulting in some rough and bumpy journeys. We would not recommend it to anyone suffering from back problems. Guests must travel with a soft sided bag or medium size suitcases due to limited space in the safari vehicles.
* Rare wilder beast migration siting opportunity. The Great Migration is a seasonal event and is generally observed in the Maasai Mara July to October time.