From Spain to France to Italy, this affordable tour along the Mediterranean Coast, features vibrant cities, historic sites, and stunning scenery. You’ll stay in Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, Marseille, the Venice area, and Rome. You’ll also overnight in the French Riviera and the Cinque Terre area.
- 13 night guided vacation
- 13 nights in Superior Tourist Class accommodation
- 18 Meals: 13 Buffet breakfasts daily; 5 dinners
- Touring by private, first-class, air-conditioned motorcoach with Professional Tour Director while touring
- Local Guides for city sightseeing in Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona, Rome; professional Tour Director while touring
- Round trip transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to airport
Book by June 30!
|May 7-October 8, 2022||from $3049 including tax|
|Single Room Supplement||add $818|
(Tour Director & Driver)
|add $174 per person|
|Small Discovery Tours available on select dates
Maximum 24 passengers
|add from $400 more|
Note: Cosmos requires passport and emergency contact information with final payment.
- MADRID – Guided sightseeing
- CUENCA – Visit
- VALENCIA – Guided sightseeing
- PENISCOLA – Visit the castle
- BARCELONA – Guided sightseeing
- COLLIOURE – Visit
- MARSEILLE – Orientation drive
- CASSIS – Visit
- ÈZE – Visit a perfume workshop
- CINQUE TERRE – Excursion
- VERONA – Visit
- VENICE – Canal boat ride, walking orientation, glassblower demonstration
- ASSISI – Visit St. Francis Basilica
- ROME – Guided sightseeing, see St. Peter’s Square
Itinerary (subject to change)
Inside visits and special features are shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description, including admission charges where applicable.
Day 1 ARRIVE IN MADRID, SPAIN (D)
Check into your hotel. Tonight, meet your Tour Director and fellow travelers.
Accommodation: Elba Madrid Alcala (or similar)
Day 2 MADRID (B)
Not only is Madrid the capital of Spain, but because it is situated 2,180 feet above sea level, the Spaniards rightly say it’s the nearest thing to Heaven. On the included guided city tour, discover the main sights and end the tour with a walk in the Barrio de La Latina. Stop in one of the many bars for a TAPAS TASTING. Consider an optional trip to Toledo. The splendid setting of this old walled city above the Tagus was made famous in El Greco’s painting and, even now, it’s like a great open-air museum of Spanish history and art.
Day 3 MADRID–CUENCA–VALENCIA (B/D)
Travel southeast to Cuenca, perched high above the precipices of the Jucar and Huecar Rivers, famous for its “hanging houses” that are suspended over the Huecar ravine. Journey on to Valencia, Spain’s third-largest city, and explore the city with a Local Guide.
Accommodation: Sercotel Acteon Valencia (or similar)
Day 4 VALENCIA–PENISCOLA–BARCELONA (B)
Today, visit PEÑÍSCOLA CASTLE in Castellon, built by the Knights Templar in the 14th century. The promontory on which the castle and town are located is a fine reminder of medieval times. Continue your journey through orange groves and seaside resorts past Tarragona to Catalonia’s lively and beautiful capital, Barcelona.
Accommodation: Abba Garden (or similar)
Day 5 BARCELONA (B)
Sightseeing with a Local Guide includes a drive around Monjuïc to see the Olympic Stadium and a great panoramic view of the port and city. Continue to the city center of Plaza Catalunya and to Paseo de Gracia to admire the greatness and eccentricity of Gaudi’s architectural masterpieces in the Houses Batllò and Mila and the Sagrada Familia (entrance fees not included). Spend the afternoon at leisure.
Day 6 BARCELONA–COLLIOURE, FRANCE–MARSEILLE (B/D)
Leave Spain today and cross the border into France to visit Collioure. This picturesque village is nestled in an idyllic place on the rocky Mediterranean coastline and is sheltered by the Pyrenees. Carry on to the oldest city in France, Marseille, for an overnight.
Accommodation: Ibis Marseille Centre Euromed (or similar)
Day 7 MARSEILLE–CASSIS–FRENCH RIVIERA (B)
Capital of the Provence, Marseille was founded by the Greeks in 600 BC. See the city’s bustling ancient heart—the picturesque Vieux Port (old port), where elegant markets and handsome townhouses surround the boat-filled harbor. Then, head for the hilltop BASILICA NOTRE DAME DE LA GARDE, with stunning views of the city. Follow the coastal route toward Cassis, a small fishing port lined with cafés and restaurants, and stop to explore the town before reaching Nice. Later, why not join the optional Monte-Carlo-by-Night excursion?
Accommodation: Ibis Styles Nice Vieux Port (or similar)
Day 8 FRENCH RIVIERA. EXCURSION TO ÈZE (B)
Start the day with a visit to a PERFUME WORKSHOP in Èze. Later, spend time at leisure to do as you please! In Nice, dabble in the Mediterranean Sea, stroll along the famous Promenade des Anglais, or join our optional excursion to the artists’ town of St. Paul de Vence.
Day 9 FRENCH RIVIERA–CINQUE TERRE AREA, ITALY (B/D)
Enjoy the wonderful coastal scenery along the French and Italian Rivieras as you travel toward Cinque Terre. Take the TRAIN in Levanto and stop in some of the most enchanting villages of the spectacular Cinque Terre region, where the beauty of the rugged cliffs and romantic fishing villages once inspired Lord Byron. There are several breathtaking trails carved into the rocks connecting the villages, affording dramatic sea views.
Accommodation: NH La Spezia (or similar)
Day 10 CINQUE TERRE AREA–VERONA–VENICE AREA (B)
Travel through areas of culinary excellence in the Po plains to reach the romantic city of Verona and enjoy some time at leisure. Continue to the Venice area, where you will spend two nights.
Accommodation: Poppi (or similar)
Day 11 VENICE (B/D)
Venice is a city of unparalleled beauty and a feast of wonderful sights. Your included orientation starts with a BOAT RIDE to St. Mark’s Square and is followed by time at leisure and a chance to watch VENETIAN GLASSBLOWERS fashion their delicate objects as they did centuries ago. Don’t miss out on the optional gondola trip, gliding along the picturesque canals with a local troubadour to serenade you.
Day 12 VENICE AREA–ASSISI–ROME (B)
Cross the Po Delta and head into the verdant Apennines to medieval Assisi. Enclosed by ramparts, little has changed since the Middle Ages. This is the town of the deeply mystical and poetic ST. FRANCIS. See the UPPER and LOWER BASILICA with the beautiful frescoes by Giotto, then head for Rome.
Accommodation: Pineta Palace (or similar)
Day 13 ROME (B)
The “Eternal City” is steeped in history, vibrantly alive and exciting, and absolutely unique! Included sightseeing with a Local Guide starts with St. Peter’s Square and Basilica. Other highlights are the iconic Colosseum, the largest amphitheater ever built, and Circus Maximus. An optional visit is available to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, world famous for Michelangelo’s impressive fresco of The Last Judgment.
Day 14 ROME (B)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan
All 2021 travel bookings automatically come with our 2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan*—free of charge. This plan gives guests the ability to move their booking to another destination, vacation, brand or simply a different 2021 or 2022 departure date in our vast travel portfolio, no questions asked. They just need to let us know before final payment (60 days prior to departure) and we’ll waive all land or cruise penalties and get you booked on new vacation.
* The 2021 Peace of Mind Travel Plan allows for any 2021 booking made on Avalon Waterways, Cosmos, Globus or Monograms to be changed to a different brand, destination or to another 2021 or 2022 departure date. Notice of change in travel plans must be given before final payment; standard cancellation penalties will apply for full cancellation without rebooking or changes made after final payment. The penalty waiver applies to the land or cruise portion of the booking only; airfares and vacations booked air-inclusive may be subject to penalties and/or change fees from the airline*. Applicable price and eligible promotions for the new tour or cruise will apply; if new trip is less expensive, a future travel credit will be issued for the difference in price. Cannot be applied to charters, custom tours or TBA space. No cash value. Credit is fully transferable. Offer reliant on space availability. May be withdrawn at any time. Additional restrictions may apply; see Travel Terms & Conditions for details. *See optional Travel Protection Plan coverage for details.