Join us for an adventure to ancient Egypt, as well as its modern enjoyments on a Nile River cruise for the ages. Arrive in Cairo, and explore the pyramids and Sphinx of Giza. See the Ramses II statue in Memphis and King Tut’s tomb in Cairo’s Egyptian Museum. (Note: upon its opening in 2022, the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza will replace Cairo’s Egyptian Museum for this itinerary.) In Old Cairo, see the Church of the Virgin Mary (also called the Hanging Church), built in the place where Mary and Jesus were said to find refuge during their flight to Egypt, and visit the Alabaster Mosque. These and more exciting discoveries are to be found as you see Egypt’s incredible monuments to pharaohs and gods of Egyptian history.
Fly to Luxor to embark on your Nile River cruise. You’ll visit the Luxor Temple, Avenue of the Sphinxes, monument of Karnak, and the Temple of Amun-Ra before enjoying an onboard welcome reception on your ship. Visit the valley of Kings and Valley of Queens, where the pristine tomb of King Tut was found with undisturbed riches and splendor. This incredible cruise on the Nile River takes you to amazing ancient sites, including the twin temples at Kom Ombo, devoted to the crocodile god Sobek-Ra and the falcon god Horus. Ponder the magnitude of the task of building the pyramids with a visit to the granite quarries—where an unfinished obelisk still remains. Visit the Temple of Isis, then take a return flight to Cairo to wander the world’s largest open-air museum, and browse the bustling maze of the endless bazaar in Cairo’s medieval alleys. Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation tour in Cairo, expedition to the Egyptian pyramids, and a Nile River cruise you’ll never forget.
- Round trip international airfare from Vancouver to Cairo
- Intra-Vacation airfare is included from Cairo to Luxor and from Aswan to Cairo
- 4 nights accommodation in Cairo at Marriott Mena House or similar
- 5 night deluxe cruise aboard MS Farah
- All transfers between airport, hotel and ship
- Dining: Most meals as stated in the itinerary. Complimentary glass of wine or beer at dinner. Complimentary soft drinks with lunch and dinner.
- Outside cabins with panoramic windows.
- Included shore excursions with Egyptologist
- Headsets for shore excursions.
- Refresh yourself in the swimming pool.
- Modern bathrooms.
- Enjoy color satellite TV on the Nile River.
- Large closets with shelves for ample storage.
- Delicious meals – both Western and Eastern cuisine.
- English-speaking crew.
- Remarkable service throughout the cruise.
- Internet access on the Nile River to stay in touch with family.
- And, much more.
- Book by Dec 31: Save $900 per couple! (price reflects below)
|May 4 – August 24. 2023||Vancouver|
|Deluxe Stateroom||from $5999*|
*The rate above is based on May 4, 2022
Cairo, Egypt: Welcome to Egypt
Cairo: Guided sightseeing, visit the Pyramids and Sphinx of Giza, Ramses II, and Alabaster Sphinx in Memphis, and the ‘Stairway to the Sky’ at Sakkara; Sounds & Light Show at the pyramids
Cairo: Visit Tutankhamun’s Tomb in the Egyptian Museum; see Saladin’s citadel and visit the Alabaster Mosque in Old Cairo; see the Hanging Church and Cairo’s oldest synagogue in Coptic Cairo; visit the Khan el-Kahlili souk
Cairo–Luxor (Embarkation): Fly to Luxor; visit Luxor Temple, the Avenue of Sphinxes, monument of Karnak & Temple of Amun-Ra; onboard welcome reception
Luxor–Esna: Valley of Kings, Valley of Queens, Deir El-Bahri, and the Colossi of Memnon; galabya party on board
Edfu–Kom Ombo: Visit the Temple of Horus; visit the twin temples at Kom Ombo; lecture on board
Aswan: Sail by felucca to Kitchener Island, visit the Botanical Gardens
Aswan (Disembarkation)–Cairo: Excursion to the High Dam; cruise to Agilika; visit Temple of Isis and ancient granite quarries; fly to Cairo
Cairo: Special tour to the world’s largest open-air museum, followed by a walk in the maze of shops at the famous bazaar; felucca ride; Cairo by night orientation
Cairo: Your vacation ends this morning
Day 1 CAIRO, EGYPT
Welcome to Cairo, “Mother of the World”
Day 2 CAIRO
Desert Sands and Secrets of the Sphinx
CLASSIC This morning take a close-up look at one of the World’s Seven Wonders and guardian of the great pyramids, the enigmatic Sphinx, and the Great Pyramid of Giza. Cheops, with an original height of 496 feet, is the most colossal pyramid ever built, and of course enjoy the visit to the newly discovered the Sun Boats.
Afterwards, enjoy free time for lunch in a local restaurant.
CLASSIC Drive to Sakkara, a vast desert necropolis built for kings and nobles, and its “Stairway to the Sky,” the oldest of all pyramids. Also admire the special tomb of Mary Roca and the Step Pyramid.
CLASSIC Guided Excursion to the pyramids this evening features a Sound and Light Show complete with historical stories and secrets of the Sphinx.
Day 3 CAIRO
Ancient Cairo, a Boy King, and the Christ Child
CLASSIC Enjoy a guided visit to the now-famous Tahrir Square and visit the Egyptian Museum. Peruse King Tutankhamun’s fabulous treasures and many other priceless artifacts of ancient Egypt.
CLASSIC Drive to walled city of Old Cairo, with Saladin’s 12th-century citadel, and the Alabaster Mosque of Mohammed Ali.
CLASSIC Drive to “Coptic Cairo” to see the Hanging Church where the Virgin Mary and Jesus sought refuge while in Egypt. Walk to see Cairo’s oldest Jewish synagogue, founded in the 9th century.
* Note: upon its opening, the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza will replace Cairo’s Egyptian Museum for this itinerary.
Day 4 CAIRO–LUXOR (EMBARKATION)
The World’s Greatest Open-Air Museum
Fly 300 miles up the Nile Valley to Luxor to embark on your Nile River cruise.
CLASSIC See the stunning monuments of Luxor and Karnak, ancient cities whose combined populations swelled to more than one million. Walk among the pillars of the colossal Temple of Amun Ra and along the Avenue of the Sphinxes for an experience you will treasure for a lifetime.
Consider an Optional Guided Excursion to enjoy the sound and light show in Karnak Temple.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN LUXOR
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 LUXOR–ESNA
Royal Resting Places of Kings and Queens
CLASSIC Venture to the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens on the west bank of the Nile where generations of pharaohs and nobles were entombed in cliffside crypts. See where 62 royal tombs have thus far been discovered, of which one was virtually intact—the splendid tomb of Tutankhamun discovered in 1922.
CLASSIC Visit Deir El-Bahri, Queen Hatshepsut’s monumental rock temple. Stop for pictures at the two Colossi of Memnon guarding the valleys.
DISCOVERY This evening enjoy live entertainment on board.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN ESNA
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 6 EDFU–KOM OMBO
Egyptian Gods of the River and Sky
CLASSIC This morning visit the Temple of Horus with its menacing black stone statue of the falcon god.
CLASSIC Enjoy beautiful Kom Ombo for a short walk to its bluff-top twin temples. The right side is dedicated to the crocodile god Sobek-Ra, while the left side is dedicated to the falcon god Horus.
Enjoy a leisurely sail to Aswan.
DISCOVERY Enjoy an exclusive lecture on this ancient civilization by your Egyptologist
Tonight, enjoy live entertainment onboard.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN KOM OMBO
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 7 ASWAN
Temples from Above and Islands Below
This morning, consider a Guided Optional Excursion with a flight over the huge massive sandstone temples of Abu Simbel (weather permitting).
CLASSIC Board a Felucca (traditional wooden sailing boat) and cross the blue waters of the Nile. En route, see the ancient water measurement system, “Nilometer,” on the Nile’s Elephantine Island. Visit Kitchener Island’s lush Botanical Gardens and the splendid Aga Khan Mausoleum on the left bank.
Join an Optional Excursion to the Sound and Light show in Philae Temple.
OVERNIGHT DOCKING IN ASWAN
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 8 ASWAN (DISEMBARKATION)–CAIRO
Work in Progress and the Goddess Isis
CLASSIC Join a Guided Sightseeing Excursion at to explore the Granite Quarries that supplied ancient Egypt with its hard stones for the pyramids in Giza. See the famous unfinished obelisk, still remaining in the quarry.
CLASSIC Visit the gigantic Aswan High Dam, completed in 1970. Board a motor launch to the island of Agilika between the two dams. Visit the Temple Of Isis, which was dismantled from the submerged island of Philae and reassembled here.
Board your flight back to Cairo later today, and consider attending an Optional Dinner Cruise on the Nile to celebrate your Egyptian adventure.
Day 9 CAIRO
Amazing Palaces and Marketplace Mazes
CLASSIC Enjoy a special tour of the world’s widest open-air museum to admire palaces and mosques. Browse the maze of shops in the vast labyrinths of the Khan al Khali Souk bazaar and Medieval alleyways.
CLASSIC Take in a full panoramic view of Cairo from the Nile River—on board a traditional wooden sailing vessel (Felucca).
CLASSIC Discover Cairo by night on an orientation tour in the old city.
Day 10 CAIRO
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
Included for Every Avalon Guests
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in the lounges (when signal available)
- Panoramic windows throughout
- Locally inspired design & décor
- Friendly, English-speaking crew & Cruise Director
- Air-conditioned Panorama Lounge
- Covered open-air observation lounge
- Bar serving premium spirits, wine & complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks, and local beer/spirits throughout the day
- Comfort Collection BedsSM, featuring premium mattress covers
- Wall-to-wall, 14-foot-wide panoramic window that opens to transform the living space into a large Open–Air BalconySM
- Comfortable sitting area with couch & chair
- Large private bathroom featuring full shower with rain shower head
- Premium L’Occitane bath amenities
- Spacious closets with shelves for ample storage
- Minibar with complimentary local beer, soft drinks & water
- In-room safe
- Individual climate control
- And, much more
- Spacious, open-seating dining room
- Delectable regional & Western cuisine with all onboard meals
- Seasonal recipes featuring the freshest local ingredients
- Vegetarian options available with all meals
- Daily early-riser coffee & tea
- Daily à la carte breakfast
- Daily à la carte lunch showcasing local specialties severed by our Head Chef
- Four-course à la carte dinners with choice of salads, soups, entrées, dessert or cheese
- Complimentary wine, local beer/spirits, soft drinks, coffee & tea at lunch & dinner
Avalon has designed included activities with a choice of experiences. We invite you to select the tours, activities, and events that interest you most, so you can experience your cruise your way. Plus, we offer independent exploration options and the use of our exclusive AvalonGO APP on most of our cruises.
Below are 3 types of included shore excursions for you to experience.
Your local expert is ready to guide you through the history and heritage of local destinations. You’ll marvel at the legends, lore, and spectacular architecture of iconic and historic sites.
We’ve found inspiring and interactive activities to speak to your interests – from cooking classes, to painting workshops – to immerse yourself in each culture you explore.
Embark on energetic excursions to keep you in motion and on the go – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam, to biking, paddling, and hiking your way through scenic locales.